Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

What is Hyperglycemia?

Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar (glucose), is a serious health problem for those with diabetes. Hyperglycemia develops when there is too much sugar in the blood. In people with diabetes, there are two specific types of hyperglycemia that occur:

• Fasting hyperglycemia is defined as a blood sugar greater than 130 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter) after fasting for at least 8 hours.
  • Postprandial or after-meal hyperglycemia is defined as a blood sugar usually greater than 180 mg/dL. In people without diabetes postprandial or post-meal sugars rarely go over 140 mg/dL. However, occasionally after a large meal, a 1-2 hour post-meal sugar level can reach 180 mg/dL. Consistently elevated high post-meal blood sugar levels can be an indicator that a person is at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes

When a person with diabetes has hyperglycemia frequently or for long periods of time as indicated by a high HbA1c blood test, damage to nerves, blood vessels, and other body organs can occur. Hyperglycemia can also lead to more serious conditions, including ketoacidosis -- mostly in people with type 1 diabetes -- and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome (HHNS) in people with type 2 diabetes or in people at risk for type 2 diabetes.

It's important to treat the symptoms of hyperglycemia promptly to prevent complications from diabetes.

Return to Hyperglycemia

Comment from: almageecruises, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am wondering what happens with mental abilities with Type 2. We have a friendly card game couple times a month. Last game I took my 2 1k mg glumetza ER (recent change from metformin) with food just before going. I didn't check blood sugar. I played the worst ever for about 3 or 4 hours. I played well the last two hours. We gamers have discovered the use of cough syrup before or during the game has a negative effect on our playing skill. We will ask someone after they make a bone headed play. I checked my hypo symptoms and no mention is made of mental effects. What is the mental effects of type 2 and treatments for it.

Comment from: Suzy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I learned that I had diabetics 2 last August. I do not have insurance, for the last 2 weeks I have been extremely thirsty and nauseous. I do have some metformin 500mg tablets. Today I was very dizzy, got hot flashes, and nauseous. I checked my sugar level and it was 458! Tried to go walking but I'm short of breath. Couple of people just suggested the cinnamon and cider vinegar, just read an article on okra and slicing off the ends and in the middle, put in a glass of water and soak overnight.

Stay Informed!