Hyperglycemia - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with hyperglycemia.

What is Hyperglycemia?

Hyperglycemia, or high blood sugar (glucose), is a serious health problem for those with diabetes. Hyperglycemia develops when there is too much sugar in the blood. In people with diabetes, there are two specific types of hyperglycemia that occur:

• Fasting hyperglycemia is defined as a blood sugar greater than 130 mg/dL (milligrams per deciliter) after fasting for at least 8 hours.
  • Postprandial or after-meal hyperglycemia is defined as a blood sugar usually greater than 180 mg/dL. In people without diabetes postprandial or post-meal sugars rarely go over 140 mg/dL. However, occasionally after a large meal, a 1-2 hour post-meal sugar level can reach 180 mg/dL. Consistently elevated high post-meal blood sugar levels can be an indicator that a person is at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes

When a person with diabetes has hyperglycemia frequently or for long periods of time as indicated by a high HbA1c blood test, damage to nerves, blood vessels, and other body organs can occur. Hyperglycemia can also lead to more serious conditions, including ketoacidosis -- mostly in people with type 1 diabetes -- and hyperglycemic hyperosmolar nonketotic syndrome (HHNS) in people with type 2 diabetes or in people at risk for type 2 diabetes.

It's important to treat the symptoms of hyperglycemia promptly to prevent complications from diabetes.

Return to Hyperglycemia

Comment from: BJ, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I have had hypoglycemia all my life, but a recent trip to the emergency room found my blood sugar to be 174. I had the same symptoms as l have with low blood sugar and my levels have returned to normal.

Comment from: Jeff, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I experienced a 3 month period of dry mouth and major weight loss, I still felt fine during this time, though my wife was worried. I went into see my doctor, who ran some blood work. My sugar level was 30 mmol/lt. So next day I saw a diabetes specialist. She shot me up with various Insulin products. Shortly after I lost my sight in one eye and phased out the other. These insulin products increased my already high blood sugars into the high 40s. I decided not to take anything, as it affected me in a really bad way. It took 2 months to regain my sight and still hasn't returned to my perfect vision before I went in. In June my levels have returned to 6 and 7 mmol/lt. I'm thinking it was not diabetes, just a bout of hyperglycemia. Unknown cause as my dietary habits never changed. I now have a serious mistrust of doctors, and unless I'm dying, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.