Lichen Sclerosus - Diagnosis

Please describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lichen sclerosus.

Please select the black triangle:

How is it diagnosed?

Doctors can look at severe lichen sclerosus and know what it is. But usually, a doctor takes a small piece of the skin patch (biopsy) and looks at it under a microscope. This allows doctors to make sure that it is not a different disease.

Return to Lichen Sclerosus

Comment from: sarah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I came down with an incredibly painful itch on my labia. I changed my soap, washed with a mild oatmeal soap, washed with no soap, did everything, but the itch and the pain simply got worse. Finally I went to my general physician who referred me to a Gynecologist. She immediately scheduled me for a "patch" biopsy, a procedure which takes out a tiny piece of skin from the infected area for testing. It was diagnosed that I have Lichen Sclerosus!

Comment from: gkMary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I developed itching in my genitalia which later left me with white patches. Years later I developed another patch on my back, and with time it was growing bigger, it wasn't itching or painful so I ignored it until one day it became a blister. I freaked out and I went to see a skin specialist who told me that it was lichen sclerosis. I am now on treatment with clobetasol, prednisolone and dapsone. I am seeing improvement in three weeks now.