Lichen Sclerosus - Diagnosis

Please describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lichen sclerosus.

Please select the black square:

How is it diagnosed?

Doctors can look at severe lichen sclerosus and know what it is. But usually, a doctor takes a small piece of the skin patch (biopsy) and looks at it under a microscope. This allows doctors to make sure that it is not a different disease.

Return to Lichen Sclerosus

Comment from: Pumpernickel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a Brazilian waxing that was done incorrectly. It left some tears in my skin at the very top of my labia. As it healed it started to itch and that led to a chronic lichen sclerosus condition. It took a few years to get a diagnosis and then treat with clobetasol successfully.

Comment from: sarah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I came down with an incredibly painful itch on my labia. I changed my soap, washed with a mild oatmeal soap, washed with no soap, did everything, but the itch and the pain simply got worse. Finally I went to my general physician who referred me to a Gynecologist. She immediately scheduled me for a "patch" biopsy, a procedure which takes out a tiny piece of skin from the infected area for testing. It was diagnosed that I have Lichen Sclerosus!