Lichen Sclerosus - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with lichen sclerosus?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms?

Early in the disease, small white spots appear on the skin. The spots are usually shiny and smooth. Later, the spots grow into bigger patches. The skin on the patches becomes thin and crinkled. Then the skin tears easily, and bright red or purple bruises are common. Sometimes, the skin becomes scarred. If the disease is a mild case, there may be no symptoms.

Other symptoms are:

• Itching (very common)
  • Discomfort or pain
  • Bleeding
  • Blisters.
Return to Lichen Sclerosus

Comment from: ThingsCanGetBetter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Had severe problems from time I was a child, and it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I finally researched online and based on my symptoms found lichen sclerosus. After a few more years of pain and anguish I set my embarrassment aside and at an annual OB appointment (after she was all done and said you're good to go again this year....) I asked her specifically... "Do you think those patches (which were milk bottle white) down there could be lichen sclerosus?" She took another look and said, "Yes, I believe so." I was stupefied. She actually KNEW the ailment and never even brought it up to me prior to my asking. She prescribed a topical ointment - Clobetasol. I used it every day to start. Within 2 months things healed over and normal color returned. No more itching. No more tears or open sores. No pain. Normal - except for all the scarring that had already occurred over the years. Now 3 years later, I use it once a month and have had no additional problems. I am ecstatic to be feeling so good and thankful for her knowing what to prescribe .But also REALLY aggravated that NONE of my OBs over the years ever questioned or addressed the white and broken skin. I lived with this for years when a simple ointment could have brought me relief. Things CAN be better. Discard your embarrassment and get help. Even if you have to be persistent.

Comment from: Dorothy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Several years ago I thought I had an STD! Went to gynecologist and he thought it was lichen sclerosis and biopsy confirmed it. I had surgery to remove the spots. Now it's back and burns like fire when I urinate. I don't want surgery again so I'm looking for a better treatment. I think it's interesting they think it may be caused by overactive immune system because I have other issues related to that.

Stay Informed!