Lichen Sclerosus - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with lichen sclerosus?

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms?

Early in the disease, small white spots appear on the skin. The spots are usually shiny and smooth. Later, the spots grow into bigger patches. The skin on the patches becomes thin and crinkled. Then the skin tears easily, and bright red or purple bruises are common. Sometimes, the skin becomes scarred. If the disease is a mild case, there may be no symptoms.

Other symptoms are:

• Itching (very common)
  • Discomfort or pain
  • Bleeding
  • Blisters.
Return to Lichen Sclerosus

Comment from: KJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I went to 2 different doctors and was treated for yeast infections because of the severe itching. I went through several medications. Changed soaps and everything else I could think of that would cause infections, just took showers, no soaks in the tub. I had painful and constant itching for over 1 year. Finally sought out a female gynecologist who specializes in perimenopause women. She took one look at me and knew exactly what it was, she did a biopsy to confirm lichen sclerosus. The itching stopped immediately with the topical ointment she gave me. Unfortunately a lot of scarring has already happened.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

At this moment my entire perineal, vaginal, rectal area is swollen, painful, red, blistered, and itchy. I was diagnosed with lichens sclerosus by a gynecologist. He did a tissue biopsy about 6 years ago. When I had insurance I was able to keep it under control with clobetasol topical. I have no health insurance at this time and have had this mad outbreak for about a week and a half and am still working putting in 60 hours per week. It is so bad and painful I have a hard time sitting down. I feel as if I am being tortured. Wish I knew something I could do to relieve the symptoms without it costing me so much.