Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE) - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection?

Please select the black square:

What causes a vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection?

VRE can exist in the body without causing infection, in which case a patient is said to be colonized with VRE. Colonization usually occurs in the bowel. If the number of VRE bacteria increases, they can invade the bloodstream or spread locally to cause an abdominal abscess or urinary infection. Once in the bloodstream, VRE can cause meningitis, pneumonia, or infection of a heart valve (endocarditis). VRE may also be introduced directly into an open sore or wound, causing a wound infection. The bacteria produce several substances, including proteases that help them break down the normal barriers between the gut tissue and the bloodstream.

Return to Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococci (VRE)

Comment from: deucewild, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

My cause vancomycin-resistant enterococcal (VRE) infection was easy, I had a section of my colon removed because of diverticulitis. When the doctor sewed my colon back and closed me up, the colon started leaking in my body cavity and settled in my upper intestines where 15 feet had to be removed to get rid of the VRE. I was mentally delirious for two weeks and tied to the bed so I wouldn"t pull out any tubes.