Pancreatic Cysts - Types

Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.

What are the causes of pancreatic cysts?

There are two major types of pancreatic cysts; pseudocysts (inflammatory cysts) and true cysts (non-inflammatory cysts). Inflammatory cysts are benign, whereas non-inflammatory cysts can be benign, precancerous, or cancerous.

Return to Pancreatic Cysts

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My "true cyst" of the pancreas was diagnosed only on pathology examination by the pathologist. The surgeon said my pancreatic tail looked "necrotic" but he was certain this didn't mean cancerous. My cyst was a lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas and presented as left upper quadrant pain followed by daily unrelenting nausea. The pain was intense only the first week then sporadic after that. The bigger problem was nausea. I'm told there is no known cause for this type of true cyst but resection is the cure. I am unsure whether this will occur again but the surgeon said "statistically no."

Comment from: susieq911, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was diagnosed with inflammatory intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm (IPMN) 2mm x 6mm yesterday after an endoscopic ultrasound (EUS). I was told that they will do another in 2 years but I feel that it needs to be done in 6 months to make sure it has not changed. I have chronic pancreatitis (CP) from my gastrointestinal tract being injured in an accident. I have not been a drinker but the pain has caused me to be on opiates everyday as prescribed by my doctor.