Pancreatic Cysts - Types

Were you diagnosed with an inflammatory or non-inflammatory pancreatic cyst? Please share your experience.

Inflammatory cysts

Most of the inflammatory cysts of the pancreas are pancreatic pseudocysts. Pseudocysts of the pancreas result from pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas). The common causes of pancreatitis include alcoholism, gallstones, trauma, or surgery. The fluid inside the pseudocysts represents liquefied dead pancreatic tissue, cells of inflammation, and a high concentration of digestive enzymes (for example, amylase). Most pseudocysts caused by acute pancreatitis resolve spontaneously (without treatment) within several weeks. Pseudocysts that need treatment are those that persist beyond six weeks and are causing symptoms such as pain, obstruction of the stomach or duodenum, or become infected.

Return to Pancreatic Cysts

Comment from: countryme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Three cysts have been found in the tail of my pancreas after a CT scan for ovarian cysts. An MRI showed them as all over 2 cms. I am awaiting for a final diagnosis. My mother died of pancreatic cancer three years ago and I am terrified.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

My "true cyst" of the pancreas was diagnosed only on pathology examination by the pathologist. The surgeon said my pancreatic tail looked "necrotic" but he was certain this didn't mean cancerous. My cyst was a lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas and presented as left upper quadrant pain followed by daily unrelenting nausea. The pain was intense only the first week then sporadic after that. The bigger problem was nausea. I'm told there is no known cause for this type of true cyst but resection is the cure. I am unsure whether this will occur again but the surgeon said "statistically no."

Stay Informed!