High Blood Pressure Treatment - Coffee and Caffeine

In what ways do coffee and other caffeinated beverages affect your blood pressure?

Please select the black square:

Coffee and caffeinated beverages

In one study, the caffeine consumed in 5 cups of coffee daily caused a mild increase in blood pressure in elderly people who already had hypertension, but not in those who had normal blood pressures. The combination of smoking and drinking coffee in persons with high blood pressure may increase the blood pressure more than coffee alone. Limiting caffeine intake and cigarette smoking in hypertensive individuals may be of some benefit in controlling high blood pressure.

The American Heart Association states that there is no consistent evidence that daily consumption of 1 to 2 cups of coffee (or its equivalent) increases blood pressure to any significant degree in people who do not already have high blood pressure.

However, a study reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2005 found that while coffee consumption was not associated with an increased risk of hypertension, consumption of sugared or diet cola did cause modest increases in blood pressure, though no recommendations on cola consumption were made.

Energy drinks often contain high levels of caffeine. The American Heart Association points to research which suggests people with high blood pressure or heart disease should avoid energy drinks because they could affect their blood pressure.

Return to High Blood Pressure Treatment

Comment from: Gerry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

My doctor told me to knock off the coffee 15 years ago. I did, but felt so sleepy and lethargic I felt always on the verge of falling asleep. So I started on the coffee again, and have been drinking two 12 ounce cups a day ever since. It has not affected my blood pressure levels at all, but has made me feel alive and energetic again. I am glad to hear of some of the good effects of coffee drinking that have been discovered recently.