High Blood Pressure Treatment - Smoking

Are you a smoker or former smoker undergoing treatment for high blood pressure? After diagnosis, did you quit smoking?

Please select the black square:

Smoking

Although smoking increases the risk of vascular complications (for example, heart disease and stroke) in people who already have hypertension, it is not associated with an increase in the development of hypertension. But cigarette smoking can repeatedly produce an immediate, temporary rise in the blood pressure of 5 to10 mm Hg. Steady smokers however, may have a lower blood pressure than nonsmokers. The reason for this is that nicotine in cigarettes causes a decrease in appetite, which leads to weight loss. This, in turn, lowers blood pressure.

Return to High Blood Pressure Treatment

Comment from: kathysweet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure a month ago and since then I have quit smoking and feel so wonderful my blood pressure is down and I can exercise so much better because I can breath so much better. I am also on a beta blocker 25mg 2 times a day.