Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

What is group B strep?

Group B strep (GBS) is a type of gram-positive streptococcal bacteria also known as Streptococcus agalactiae. This type of bacteria (not to be confused with group A strep which causes "strep throat") is commonly found in the human body, and it usually does not cause any symptoms. However, in certain cases, it can be a dangerous cause of various infections that can affect nonpregnant adults, pregnant women, and their newborn infants. In the United States, approximately 19,800 cases of GBS infection occur annually across all age groups. Group B strep infection is the most common cause of sepsis and meningitis in the United States during a newborn's first week of life.

Group B strep infection can also afflict nonpregnant adults with certain chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and cancer. The incidence of GBS infection in adults increases with age, with the highest rate in adults 65 years of age and older (20-25 cases per 100,000). Although the incidence of neonatal group B strep infection has been decreasing, the incidence of group B strep infection in nonpregnant adults has been increasing.

Return to Group B Strep

Comment from: lynnec, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 04

After giving birth to my daughter she was taken from me at birth as she was not breathing, we didn't even know what sex she was as they ran to intensive care with her. Later that day she made a recovery and all was well. My daughter is now 7 years old and although she looks a normal healthy girl she has severe learning difficulties, she's almost 8 and she can't read, write or spell. We're now going through all sorts of tests to see how much damage has been done to brain due to the strep B. I would never have known about any of this as I didn't even know what strep B was until I started researching it recently. I wish all the children with strep B all the best and hope there isn't as much damage to their brains as there is to my daughter's.

Comment from: Collp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I tested positive at 32 weeks for strep B, but when my son was born, we both were given high doses of antibiotics. Mine were intravenously given, his given in three doses within a 24 hour period. My son, we found out, 6 weeks later didn't have strep B. However, fast forward 5 years and my son now has autism and a mild intellectual disability. I don't understand, if I am a carrier why didn't I have this with my first son. I wonder if men can be carriers of strep B. It's so strange to have strep B with one child but not the other. Only difference I have seen was a metal clamp used while doing a Pap test. Also they tell us our babies' immune system needs to build up after birth but we are making them weaker by giving all these antibiotics! Too bad there isn't a way to test quicker after a baby is born to check to see who needs antibiotics or not. I wonder if there is a link between autism and antibiotics.