Group B Strep - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with group B strep.

Please select the black square:

What is group B strep?

Group B strep (GBS) is a type of gram-positive streptococcal bacteria also known as Streptococcus agalactiae. This type of bacteria (not to be confused with group A strep which causes "strep throat") is commonly found in the human body, and it usually does not cause any symptoms. However, in certain cases, it can be a dangerous cause of various infections that can affect nonpregnant adults, pregnant women, and their newborn infants. In the United States, approximately 19,800 cases of GBS infection occur annually across all age groups. Group B strep infection is the most common cause of neonatal sepsis and meningitis in the United States.

Group B strep infection can also afflict nonpregnant adults with certain chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, and cancer. The incidence of GBS infection in adults increases with age, with the highest rate in adults 65 years of age and older (20-25 cases per 100,000). Although the incidence of neonatal group B strep infection has been decreasing, the incidence of GBS infection in nonpregnant adults has been increasing.

Return to Group B Strep

Comment from: Gramma4566, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I am still dealing with heart, lung, and pancreas damage 7 years after a strep B acquired during surgery with dirty hands/instruments. Aortic valve stenosis will require surgery for repair. I am still on insulin. Lung biopsy along with heart valve repair to treat inflamed scar tissue still there after 7 years. The gift that keeps on giving.

Comment from: Kristian, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I am a healthy 26 year old woman. I found out when I was pregnant that I was a carrier of group B strep. I was given antibiotics and I delivered my son who is now 2 years old and healthy. About 6 months after having him I developed an infection that the doctors misdiagnosed for about a year as bacterial vaginosis, but it was actually group B strep causing a heavy discharge. I have not taken antibiotics in probably 8 months because they did not help. I seem to be healthy other than this abnormal discharge. It is going on two years of having this. The doctors don't seem to know much about it. If anyone gets answers and finds a cure please post your story. I also have bowel issues which makes me wonder if this could have something to do with it, seems this is how it is colonized in these local areas.