Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is gastritis?

Gastritis is inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Unfortunately, the term "gastritis" has been misused to include many different upper abdominal problems, but true gastritis refers to the stomach lining (gastric mucosa) that is inflamed. All or part of the gastric mucosa may be involved. Gastritis may be classified as acute or chronic. Acute gastritis maybe characterized as erosive (damaged areas where mucosal cells are disrupted or missing) and nonerosive. Chronic gastritis is determined by histopathology (appearance of the gastric mucosa). This article will focus on true gastritis. Gastritis has many causes, but most causes result in similar symptoms. This has leads to some confusion and is the reason why many health care professionals now consider the term "gastritis" as a non-specific description of a cluster of symptoms.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: mommaof3, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had my first bout of gastritis about a month ago which found me in the emergency room. I thought it was my gallbladder because of the pain and location. All tests came back normal and an ultrasound found my liver and gallbladder in good condition. The doctor prescribed Percocet and antacid relief. The attacks are extreme pain in the upper abdominal area and into the back, vomiting, loose bowels, and mine brings on an extreme anxiety attack. Avoiding alcohol, heavy meals, and lots of caffeine tends to help. Once an attack starts there is no turning back. It takes me 3 days to recover from an attack. I'm considering the GAPS diet, which is extremely difficult, but I know it will mend my digestive system. Probiotics and digestive enzymes have also helped my condition.

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.