Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Please select the white circle:

Gastritis facts

• Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining and is usually termed acute or chronic gastritis.
  • The two major causes of gastritis are 1) a bacterium named Helicobacter pylori or H. pylori and 2) nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). However there are many other causes like other infectious agents, autoimmune problems, diseases like Crohn's disease, sarcoidosis, and isolated granulomatosis gastritis.
  • Although many individuals with gastritis may have no symptoms, both acute and chronic gastritis may have symptoms of
    • abdominal pain,
    • nausea,
    • vomiting, and
    • occasionally, belching, bloating, loss of appetite and indigestion.
  • Gastritis can be diagnosed by the patient's symptoms and history (for example, NSAID and/or alcohol consumption), or by breath, blood, stool, immunological, and biopsy tests to detect H. pylori and other tests such as endoscopy or radiologic studies demonstrate mucosal changes.
  • The treatment for gastritis varies according to the cause.
    • H. pylori usually is treated with a combination of antibiotics.
    • NSAID's are treated by stopping the drug and using antacids, histamine blockers or proton pump inhibitors or PPIs, for example, omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC), omeprazole (Prilosec, Prilosec OTC), rabeprazole (Aciphex), rabeprazole (Aciphex), esomeprazole (Nexium), and Zegerid, a rapid release form of omeprazole.
    • Other less common causes may be treated similarly, but do not treat the underlying cause.
  • Home remedies (for example, over-the-counter antacids or histamine blockers) for gastritis usually do not treat the underlying cause, but reduce symptoms.
  • Foods and chemical irritants that cause or aggravate gastritis symptoms should be reduced or stopped all together. For example:
    • Stop cigarette smoking.
    • Avoid drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.
    • Avoid caffeinated, decaffeinated, and carbonated dinks; and fruit juices that contain citric acid, for example, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, etc.
    • Avoid high-fat foods.
  • The growth of H. pylori may be stopped by a diet rich in fiber, and foods that contain flavonoids, for example:
    • Certain teas
    • Parsley
    • Thyme
    • Soy foods
    • Legumes
  • Complications from acute gastritis are rare.
  • Complications from chronic gastritis include peptic ulcer, bleeding ulcers, anemia, gastric cancers, MALT lymphoma, renal problems, strictures, bowel obstruction, or even death.
  • People with acute gastritis usually recover completely with no complications.
  • Chronic gastritis may have a range of outcomes from good (early treatment) to poor if serious complications develop.
  • If underlying causes of gastritis (for example, alcohol or NSAID's usage) are treated or not used, gastritis also may be prevented.
  • Other gastritis prevention techniques include:
  • To prevent infectious causes of gastritis practice good hand washing techniques, for example, wash the hands thoroughly and frequently.
  • To reduce the risk of gastritis avoid situations where you are exposed to chemicals, radiation, or toxins.
Return to Gastritis

Comment from: Miss P, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

Gastritis was horrendous. I was vomiting for 36 hours every 2 to 3 hours; all bile. It started off as a black color and ended up green both with black bits in. I was admitted to Accident and Emergency after 12 hours of vomiting. I even vomited in the hospital after taking anti-sickness medicines! Doctor diagnosed gastroenteritis. I was on a fluid and paracetamol drip for 2 hours before being discharged. I was sent home with anti-sickness tablets. After 2 days of no progress I went to the general physician. He diagnosed it as acute gastritis and gave me anti-acid tablets. I just got home, so have to wait and see.

Comment from: Candy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had gastritis for over a month before I decided to seek treatment. I suffer extreme fatigue and weakness, stomach cramps and sharp pains, vomiting something acidic, severe nausea that never seems to end, and so many more fun problems. The doctor first tested me for some sort of bacterial infection, and when it came back negative she decided I have gastritis. She prescribed me to take a month's worth of Nexium. Let me tell you how well this has worked for me. I went to work after the doctor visit and by the end of my shift was miserable and running a fever. I took about five days off after that. On the third day of being back to work, I woke up feeling like somebody beat me up and down with a stick. The fourth day was beyond worse. My whole body hurt (it even hurt to breathe), and I was so weak I couldn't do much, had severe stomach pains, and I guess I looked like all around awful because work sent me home early. I began running a high fever and developed a migraine from my tight back muscles. Yesterday, I felt on the verge of death because of my migraine, my sore body, my overly sensitive skin, and the awful pain in my abdomen. It turns out side effects of this medicine are headaches, muscles aches, etc. I did not take a Nexium yesterday. Today, I still feel beyond awful and my migraine is looming in the background waiting for an opportunity to mess my world up again. I have been up since the dark this morning and am going to attempt to return to the doctor today. I don't know if I have been misdiagnosed or if (in my ignorance of this illness) I have made it worse through my diet and work. I just know that this is some of the worst pain I have ever been through and I have been through a miscarriage, uncountable migraines, and multiple lower body fractures that I acquired simultaneously. This pain leaves all those experiences in the dust.