Gastritis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with gastritis.

Please select the white circle:

What is gastritis?

Gastritis is inflammation of the lining of the stomach. Unfortunately, the term "gastritis" has been misused to include many different upper abdominal problems, but true gastritis refers to the stomach lining (gastric mucosa) that is inflamed. All or part of the gastric mucosa may be involved. Gastritis may be classified as acute or chronic. Acute gastritis maybe characterized as erosive (damaged areas where mucosal cells are disrupted or missing) and nonerosive. Chronic gastritis is determined by histopathology (appearance of the gastric mucosa). This article will focus on true gastritis. Gastritis has many causes, but most causes result in similar symptoms. This has leads to some confusion and is the reason why many health care professionals now consider the term "gastritis" as a non-specific description of a cluster of symptoms.

Return to Gastritis

Comment from: Marichold, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have had chronic gastritis for about seven years. During an attack I am in absolute agony and cannot function. I was admitted to hospital the first time I had an attack, doctors suspected gallstones but gastroscopy showed gastritis. For some reason I was told I had gastritis but not that the agonizing attacks were the result so I had no idea what was wrong! It was another four years before another doctor said "that sounds like gastritis". Since then I have been taking lansoprazole every day. Last summer I was told to double the dose as I was having one attack after another. I was to go back to one dose after about two weeks if I could tolerate it. I still can"t! Despite a year of double doses I still have frequent horrendous attacks. Medical profession isn"t interested. My current record during an attack is 43 Buscopan tablets! If anyone has any advice I am interested.

Comment from: Sully, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I too suffer from gastritis and colitis after years of taking meloxicam and other NSAIDS. Although not a cure all, I have found that eating quinoa in a morning egg casserole has helped me immensely. I stumbled on this as an aid when trying to add more nutrition to my diet through good eating. It keeps my bowel movements totally regular, since irregularity was another major issue from my diagnosis. Now my flare-ups are more associated with the gastritis pain. Just google quinoa egg breakfast casserole for a recipe. When in a flare-up, I make my morning casserole without the veggies. I have grown to love quinoa.