Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is folliculitis? What are folliculitis symptoms and signs? What does folliculitis look like?

Folliculitis is an inflammatory condition affecting hair follicles. It appears as a small red tender bump occasionally surmounted with dot of pus surrounding a hair. Older lesions that have lost the pus appear as red bumps surrounding the opening of the follicle. One to hundreds of follicles can be affected anywhere that hair is present. Actually, acne vulgaris, the facial rash that teenagers develop, is a type of folliculitis.

Depending on the cause and severity of folliculitis, it may require no treatment and resolve spontaneously, or it may require treatment with powerful antibiotics or other drugs.

Return to Folliculitis

Comment from: Folliculitis gone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had scalp folliculitis for the past three years. I had convinced myself that it came from a brush I borrowed from a friend. I went to dermatologists and internists. Antibiotics would improve it slightly but it always came back. I decided to accept and live with it until my hair started slowly falling out. I was worried that if I continued to lose hair people would see the sores. The new dermatologist put me on spironolactone 50 mg twice a day. My hair loss has improved. To my surprise, the side effect of this drug for me was that my folliculitis has 100 percent disappeared. I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for me. It did take a few months of taking the drug. There are other side effects as it is a mild diuretic but for me it is worth it. I know some people who take it when they break out after quitting birth control pills. I figure it can't be that harmful. I hope if you try it you have the same result.

Comment from: Jane6, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have had folliculitis on my scalp for 6 years. I lost a lot of hair. Doctors tried antibiotics for months, which did nothing. I told them I believed it was fungal. Wearing a hat while running created the problem and then a fungal infection on my chest spread to my ears. My skin looked burnt and skin was falling off my ears and they were bleeding. It is still like that 4 years later along with outbreaks of folliculitis on neck, etc. Nodes on scalp and behind ears swell and burn and itch and liquid oozes onto my ears and neck which makes them flare again. Scalp is itchy. Doctors refuse to try any more treatments. They told me people don't get yeast or fungal infections on their skin or anywhere; it is unheard of they said. Yeah, okay. I am using an antifungal cream I got from someone and that helps clear my ears and neck. Doctors refuse to do cultures or tests. They offered SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors). Hello, I am not depressed; just frustrated that they won't do what they are paid to do. Allergist said it was fungal and asked them to do culture and sensitivity testing but my doctors refuse. I don't get it. I will be bald at this rate.