Folliculitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with folliculitis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is folliculitis? What are folliculitis symptoms and signs? What does folliculitis look like?

Folliculitis is an inflammatory condition affecting hair follicles. It appears as a small red tender bump occasionally surmounted with dot of pus surrounding a hair. Older lesions that have lost the pus appear as red bumps surrounding the opening of the follicle. One to hundreds of follicles can be affected anywhere that hair is present. Actually, acne vulgaris, the facial rash that teenagers develop, is a type of folliculitis.

Depending on the cause and severity of folliculitis, it may require no treatment and resolve spontaneously, or it may require treatment with powerful antibiotics or other drugs.

Return to Folliculitis

Comment from: RitaB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was diagnosed with folliculitis after going in a two person hot tub one time. Two others in our group also entered the hot tub multiple times, and it did not affect anyone else. Two days later, I was covered with red spots mostly on the mid and upper sides and front of my torso (where I was covered with my one piece swimsuit) that slightly itched. My doctor gave me a steroid shot and antibiotics.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I have had itchy scalp breakouts for years, dermatologists have told me it was folliculitis and one said acne of the scalp. I did the antibiotics, which didn't help. I started losing my hair about a year ago, and it has gotten worse the last couple of months. I did a little research and came to the following treatment. I started taking biotin a little over a month ago, and recently started using Neutrogena T/Gel shampoo and taking CandiGONE for overgrowth of yeast in the intestines. After a week on it, I have noticed a big difference, I have a lot less breakouts, and though my hair is still falling out, it's not as bad. I read up on the supplement Viviscal and it looks promising but I haven't tried it yet. I hope this helps someone.