Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Diagnosis

Please discuss the tests and procedures that led to a diagnosis of pelvic inflammatory disease.

Please select the white circle:

How is pelvic inflammatory disease diagnosed?

If you think that you may have pelvic inflammatory disease, see a doctor right away. If you have pain in your lower abdomen (stomach area), your doctor will perform a physical exam. This will include a pelvic (internal) exam. Your doctor will check for:

• Abnormal discharge from your vagina or cervix
  • Lumps called abscesses near your ovaries and Fallopian tubes
  • Tenderness or pain in your pelvic organs

Your doctor will also test you for STIs, including HIV and syphilis (SI-fuh-luhs), urinary tract infection, and if needed, pregnancy. If needed, your doctor may do other tests.

• Ultrasound (sonogram) a test that uses sound waves to take pictures of the pelvic area.
  • Endometrial (en-duh-MEE-tree-uhl) (uterine) biopsy the doctor removes and tests a small piece of the endometrium (the inside lining of the womb).
  • Laparoscopy (lap-uh-RAHS-kuh-pee) the doctor inserts a small, lighted tube through your abdomen (stomach area) to look at your pelvic organs.

These tests will help your doctor find out if you have pelvic inflammatory disease, or if you have a different problem that looks like PID.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: jnbhjvgfcxdfcv, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I went to the clinic after my ex partner had cheated on me. I found out I had PID which was most likely caused by chlamydia or gonorrhea. Today I got my results and I do not have any STDs at all. I have more tests to go through now as the antibiotics don't seem to be working well.

Comment from: cheryl7, Female Published: September 10

Hi everyone. A couple of days ago after having intercourse with my boyfriend instantly afterward I felt extreme pain all throughout my stomach and chest area. I wasn't able to move. I waited it out throughout the night until the morning I tried to get up to use the bathroom and I felt light headed like I've never felt before, I instantly started sweating to the point of it dripping off my head and chest. I blacked out. My boyfriend rushed me to the emergency room, I have tons of tests ran on me only to find out I have PID. This PID was caused from my IUD I had put in 4 years ago and I was actually due to have it taken out and a new one put in that very day I was rushed to emerg. I am on day 3 of my medications (Metronidazole) and (Doxycycline) and still feeling stomach pain -hurts to laugh/cry or even sneeze. I am beyond scared this pain is going to last for months even years from what I'm reading. Does anyone have any positive feedback? I should probably mention this pain happened to me a few years ago probably just shortly after having my IUD put in, after sex. I went to the hospital and they treated me with a pain killer and nothing more. The pain after that never came back until now. I am now assuming I've been suffering with PID for years and had no idea.