Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Risks

If you had pelvic inflammatory disease, did you have any behavior or lifestyle choices that put you at risk?

Are some women more likely to get pelvic inflammatory disease?

PID affects about 5 percent of women in the United States. Your risk for PID is higher if you:

• Have had an STI
  • Have had PID before
  • Are younger than 25 and have sex. PID is most common in women 15 to 24 years old.
  • Have more than one sex partner or have a partner who has multiple sexual partners
  • Douche. Douching can push bacteria into the reproductive organs and cause PID. Douching can also hide the signs of PID
  • Recently had an intrauterine device (IUD) inserted. The risk of PID is higher for the first few weeks only after insertion of an IUD. PID is rare after that time period. Getting tested for STIs before the IUD is inserted lowers your risk for PID.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: joy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I never had sex in my life before but I kept having these itches that refused to go after so many doses of drugs. Then the gynecologist sent me to get a scan and the scan result said there was fluid in my womb and diagnosis was pelvic inflammatory disease. Laboratory test result kept saying that I had yeast and staphylococcus or streptococcus. I don't know how this is possible.

Comment from: Midwest chick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) when I was 19. I had a sudden onset of severe pelvic pain. I did not have any STDs (neither did my boyfriend of 2 years). My doctor explained that PID does not mean the person had an STD, he told me that a high percentage of cases do involve an STD but that it can have other causes. I wound up spending two weeks in the hospital (with two periods in between the hospital stays).