Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for myofascial pain syndrome?

Optimal treatment of myofascial pain syndrome can be a multifaceted approach. This can include education of the patient, stress reduction, stretching and exercise programs as well as physical therapy, sleep improvement, and medications all best organized by a single physician who tailors the therapies over time by customizing them for the individual patient.

Medications used to treat myofascial pain syndrome can be directed toward various features of the individual's condition and may be used temporarily or longer term. Often trials of medications are used to find the best treatment for the particular patient. For example, trazodone (Serzone) or amitriptyline (Elavil) may be used at bedtime to improve sleep as well as relieve pain; cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) or orphenadrine (Norflex) can be used at bedtime to relax muscles and to aid sleep; and antidepressants such as sertraline (Zoloft), fluoxetine (Prozac), duloxetine (Cymbalta) can be used to help control pain as can gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica).

Return to Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Comment from: Aj, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I just wanted to share some of the aids that I rub on. They are used for muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome). One is called Absorbine Jr. Plus, this is just a liquid you rub on. Then the other one is Village Naturals Therapy muscle relief lotion (for aches and pains). I work with pain management to do trigger point injections. I have tried lidocaine infusion also. I stretch, do cardio, and take baths. In the baths I do Epsom salt, and Village Naturals Therapy for stress and aches and pains. For the headaches I am scheduled to try Botox injections.

Comment from: momto2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was in an auto accident a year ago. I am still in treatment. I have pain in jaw, neck, shoulder, hips, and calves. It took a while but now they are diagnosing it as myofascial pain syndrome. I have tried physiotherapy for 8 months and now am starting therapeutic massage and water therapy. I feel for everyone who has this. I did have migraines but was put on a drug called Keppra and they have vanished. I also checked my eyeglass prescription. Sometimes you have to just keep on keeping on until you find what works for you.