Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for myofascial pain syndrome?

Optimal treatment of myofascial pain syndrome can be a multifaceted approach. This can include education of the patient, stress reduction, stretching and exercise programs as well as physical therapy, sleep improvement, and medications all best organized by a single physician who tailors the therapies over time by customizing them for the individual patient.

Medications used to treat myofascial pain syndrome can be directed toward various features of the individual's condition and may be used temporarily or longer term. Often trials of medications are used to find the best treatment for the particular patient. For example, trazodone (Serzone) or amitriptyline (Elavil) may be used at bedtime to improve sleep as well as relieve pain; cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) or orphenadrine (Norflex) can be used at bedtime to relax muscles and to aid sleep; and antidepressants such as sertraline (Zoloft), fluoxetine (Prozac), duloxetine (Cymbalta) can be used to help control pain as can gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica).

Return to Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Comment from: momto2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was in an auto accident a year ago. I am still in treatment. I have pain in jaw, neck, shoulder, hips, and calves. It took a while but now they are diagnosing it as myofascial pain syndrome. I have tried physiotherapy for 8 months and now am starting therapeutic massage and water therapy. I feel for everyone who has this. I did have migraines but was put on a drug called Keppra and they have vanished. I also checked my eyeglass prescription. Sometimes you have to just keep on keeping on until you find what works for you.

Comment from: Jpace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

Dry needling works for myofascial pain syndrome, it goes directly into the trigger point and fatigues the muscle so it will relax. Avoid cold, it will make your entire body ache. After my car accident it took two years to diagnose. I have been doing dry needling on and off for about a year. After that treatment, I hit the hot tub, or hot shower. It really helps.