Myofascial Pain Syndrome - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your muscle pain (myofascial pain syndrome)?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for myofascial pain syndrome?

Optimal treatment of myofascial pain syndrome can be a multifaceted approach. This can include education of the patient, stress reduction, stretching and exercise programs as well as physical therapy, sleep improvement, and medications all best organized by a single physician who tailors the therapies over time by customizing them for the individual patient.

Medications used to treat myofascial pain syndrome can be directed toward various features of the individual's condition and may be used temporarily or longer term. Often trials of medications are used to find the best treatment for the particular patient. For example, trazodone (Serzone) or amitriptyline (Elavil) may be used at bedtime to improve sleep as well as relieve pain; cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) or orphenadrine (Norflex) can be used at bedtime to relax muscles and to aid sleep; and antidepressants such as sertraline (Zoloft), fluoxetine (Prozac), duloxetine (Cymbalta) can be used to help control pain as can gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica).

Return to Myofascial Pain Syndrome

Comment from: Meredith M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Great to see more sites on chronic myofascial pain (CMP) or myofascial pain syndrome (MPS). I"ve had it most of my life and only recently got an accurate diagnosis. An early injury to the neck and shoulders, during a traumatic accident involving a fatality, never healed properly. Surgery is not an option. My neck and shoulder get triggered usually by barometric pressure drop, and temperature drops from low pressure system. Chiropractic and myofascial trigger point treatments, anti-inflammatory diet, no dairy or gluten, and low histamine diet ease severity. I"ve learned not to exercise at all in acute phase, allow 2 weeks once trigger points are no longer active before resuming gentle Yoga, and swimming. As lymph system doesn"t drain when my neck is inked, I use Benadryl to reduce swelling, guaifenesin and muscle relaxant, anti-histamine and over the counter pain medications. For me the physical release from adjustments with myofascial trigger point therapy and neuromuscular therapy works best to manage the chronic condition.

Comment from: Jooloo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I have gone from barely walking and in the most intense pain (myofascial pain syndrome), including hospitalization for suspected kidney stones to living a more or less normal life in 3 years. Yes, I still suffer constant pain however it is now manageable. Firstly I had a series of around 20 trigger point injections with a steroid and local anesthetic mixture. Then a regime of wet cupping and trigger point pressing was introduced. Then came the cross trainer and walking in the pool, in a year I have progressed slowly from 4 lengths of an 18 m pool to 14, and 20 seconds on cross trainer to 16 minutes. Along with pregabalin and amitriptyline with paracetamol and heat packs when necessary, things are under control. My biggest tip is to make gentle repetitive movement the most normal thing in your life, as the last thing I wanted to be told was that I had to exercise, but it has changed my life. Though some days I wonder if soaking in the Jacuzzi after the pool walking does more good than the exercise!