Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy introduction

Your doctor has recommended a tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for you, a loved one, or your child. The following information is provided to help individuals prepare for surgery, and to help those involved understand more clearly the associated benefits, risks, and complications. Patients or caregivers are encouraged to ask the doctor any questions they feel necessary to help better understand the above procedure.

The tonsils and adenoids are masses of immune cells commonly found in lymph glands (lymphoid tissue). These tissues are located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages, respectively. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Infected adenoids may become enlarged, obstruct breathing, cause ear infections or other problems. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are surgical procedures performed to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

These instructions are designed to help you, a loved one, or your child recover from surgery as easily as possible. Taking care of yourself the individual having surgery can prevent complications. The doctor will be happy to answer any questions that you or the person having surgery has regarding this material. If you or your loved one, or child is having ear tube surgery (myringotomies and tympanostomy tubes placed) in conjunction with his/her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, please read information on these procedures as well.

Return to Tonsillectomy

Comment from: Keke, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Today marks day 2 since my surgery. I must say that it isn"t as bad as I thought. Yesterday after leaving the hospital I was in a lot of pain and just wanted to sleep. After I picked up my medication I quickly went home and fell asleep. When I got up this morning I felt pretty great. The trick to that was setting my alarm for every three hours to get up and drink water. By the morning I felt fine. I was a little sore in my jaw but it just felt like muscle pain rather than sharp pains. I felt good enough to go take a walk in Target with my mom and go grocery shopping; getting outside really helps because of the fresh air. On our way I stopped at Starbucks and got an iced drink and used a spoon to get it down my throat. I was prescribed morphine, which is an amazing help with the pain. I have not thrown up or had any bleeding yet but I will keep you updated!

Comment from: TD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 24 year old. Today marks one week after tonsils were removed. Remember, it"s so true that everyone handles this process differently. Personally, day 1 was the best for me because the medicines from the surgery center lasted a good while. Today, day 7, has been terrible. I"m having an awful recovery, mostly because my body doesn"t really react to pain medications. My ear pain is actually almost worse than the throat pain, dang, that hurts. I went back to the doctor today because I"m having such a bad time. He prescribed me stronger medicines, but said don"t expect much because days 5 to 8 are the worst and he calls them the "peak of pain". He says by day 10 to 11, most patients finally can tell an improvement. Power to those who make it sound like this process is a piece of cake, I"m way jealous, but I think it"s better to set expectations that you really will feel blah for 10 days. Good luck!

Stay Informed!