Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Please select the black triangle:

Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy introduction

Your doctor has recommended a tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for you, a loved one, or your child. The following information is provided to help individuals prepare for surgery, and to help those involved understand more clearly the associated benefits, risks, and complications. Patients or caregivers are encouraged to ask the doctor any questions they feel necessary to help better understand the above procedure.

The tonsils and adenoids are masses of immune cells commonly found in lymph glands (lymphoid tissue). These tissues are located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages, respectively. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Infected adenoids may become enlarged, obstruct breathing, cause ear infections or other problems. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are surgical procedures performed to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

These instructions are designed to help you, a loved one, or your child recover from surgery as easily as possible. Taking care of yourself the individual having surgery can prevent complications. The doctor will be happy to answer any questions that you or the person having surgery has regarding this material. If you or your loved one, or child is having ear tube surgery (myringotomies and tympanostomy tubes placed) in conjunction with his/her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, please read information on these procedures as well.

Return to Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Surgical Instructions

Comment from: andnepo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I am on day 6 after tonsillectomy and uvulectomy. It hurts terribly. Typically, for the post-surgery recovery the worst day is day 3. In my case, every day after day 3 was the worst. Everything seems to be in pain; my tongue, my throat, my jaw and even teeth. The tongue remains all swollen and looks like a jelly. The painkillers do not seem to be helping too much although they make me drowsy so I can sleep. My pain cycles go like this: I start feeling a bad pain from my throat dried out despite the fact I drink a lot of water. I drink a glass of water. The process itself seems to be making micro-cracks in the throat that makes the pain virtually intolerable. At this stage, the painkillers do not seem to help. While having my throat, tongue and teeth on fire I apply ice packs and start walking in circles as staying still is even worse. About 5 to 15 minutes later the pain starts to fade. I have about 45 minutes of pain free time. Then everything goes to the phase 1. During the daytime, such pain cycles are ok. However, at night it is very bad because if under painkillers' influence I sleep a bit longer, I wake up in a horrible pain so that even drinking water feels like swallowing burning coal. Meal consumption is also quite tricky. Of course, I cannot eat any solid food so everything goes through blender. Then 40 minutes before the meal, I take the pain medicines. Then I have about 1 or 2 minutes of quick food swallowing before my throat goes on fire. Then I just follow with the steps above. I am so glad the doctor prescribed me 2 weeks off work. Initially I thought he was exaggerating but now it seems like even 2 weeks will not be enough. I knew this was a painful procedure but I did not expect it to be that painful.

Comment from: 26yrMale, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

On day 1 I had tonsillectomy surgery at 9 am. I got put to sleep and woke up at 11:30 feeling dazed from anesthetic. My pain was like 2 out of 10, I told the nurse I was feeling 7 out of 10 so I can get an extra shot of morphine. About 20 minutes later I really needed to go take a leak and I was able to go on my own but they wouldn't let me because I was in the patient recovery section. I would have to be transferred in order to use the washroom. So I got transferred to the patient checkup section. I walked to go take a leak, and got a couple of Popsicles. I left the hospital about an hour 2 hours afterwards. I got home, lay upwards, had ice cold water only, and rested. Important thing is, when you swallow it hurts terribly, so tilt your head up every time you swallow. Don't clear your throat! Day 2, I drove myself to go buy ice cream, yogurt, juice, Popsicles. Continue swallowing by tilting your head up so it help with the pain. Rest all day and don't talk! Don't clear your throat! Day 3, I woke up with a load of mucus and phlegm and cleared it out. I brushed my teeth with cold water only. I brushed my tongue also. I ate ice cream, drank juice and a lot of water! I drove downtown, walked around in the sun to get some vitamin D. At night time I ate chicken noodle soup, and I was chewing lightly. Eat the noodles, only make sure they are well cooked and soft. I went to bed hoping to sleep some more. Day 4 which is today, May 5 2016, I am eating noodle soup. Make sure it is well cooked, throw some onions parsley or anything green that gets cooked and soft, you need some greens in you. I ate scrambled eggs and 3 bowls of different type of noodle soup. I drank a lot of guava juice and had coconut Popsicle, some crab soup with fish maw soup or something from a Chinese restaurant. Today was the day I took a shower. I cleared my throat, oh yeah, have a cup of water with you always! A note: the pain so far was worst on first and second day. I haven't taken the pain medicine oxycodone that I bought to take home yet. I am managing without it, be a man and take the pain, don't mess up your body. I only took the amoxicillin every 4 hours every single day to prevent an infection. Make sure you have water by you side! It is not so bad and I am managing.