Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy introduction

Your doctor has recommended a tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for you, a loved one, or your child. The following information is provided to help individuals prepare for surgery, and to help those involved understand more clearly the associated benefits, risks, and complications. Patients or caregivers are encouraged to ask the doctor any questions they feel necessary to help better understand the above procedure.

The tonsils and adenoids are masses of immune cells commonly found in lymph glands (lymphoid tissue). These tissues are located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages, respectively. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Infected adenoids may become enlarged, obstruct breathing, cause ear infections or other problems. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are surgical procedures performed to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

These instructions are designed to help you, a loved one, or your child recover from surgery as easily as possible. Taking care of yourself the individual having surgery can prevent complications. The doctor will be happy to answer any questions that you or the person having surgery has regarding this material. If you or your loved one, or child is having ear tube surgery (myringotomies and tympanostomy tubes placed) in conjunction with his/her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, please read information on these procedures as well.

Return to Tonsillectomy

Comment from: _Gunz72, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

So it"s day 5 after tonsillectomy and it"s been super easy so far. Day 1- 3 was when I had the most pain but I would say a 5 at most and then day 4 and today there is almost no pain and I"m hoping it stays like this. One thing is my uvula is huge and it"s like there"s a coating around my mouth and it"s like stringy spit when I wipe it. I have been sipping Gatorade and ice water since the end of my surgery and honestly think that"s why I"m not experiencing pain now. Also the last today I"ve had real scratchy feeling in my throat, it would make my eyes water and would make me cough.

Comment from: Arubabound, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

This site has been tremendously helpful to me in preparing for my tonsillectomy and so I wanted to try and pay it forward for anyone on here who is contemplating a tonsillectomy. I had mine done on Friday, 5/30 via a technique called tissue welding (I have not seen anyone mention this method on here), and am very happy to report/share a great result as far as recovery. So today is my 5th day (counting surgery day). I have not needed to take the prescribed pain medication since yesterday. (I probably could've done with just the OTC pain medications yesterday too, but not having a high pain tolerance level, did not want to chance it). As of right now, pain is very tolerable, basically non-existent when not agitated and a slight sore throat level after swallowing several times. No bleeding and no pain anywhere else other than the site. I had learned of the tissue welding method in researching alternative methods to the traditional (hard to recover from) procedure. You can find information on it by googling tissue welding tonsillectomy. The tough part (at least in the part of the country I'm in, NY/NJ area) is finding a doctor that uses it. I have gone directly to the manufacturer of the equipment used in it, Microline Surgical, to find a doctor (the closest one to me happened to be 3 hours away). No matter what method you go for, keeping up with drinking water (starting right after procedure and through the night, iced although harder to swallow, it brings down swelling, so make yourself), and stocking up on those Ramen noodle soups and eggs (for scrambled eggs) that everyone talks about is definitely the way to go. Good luck to all!