Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Please select the white circle:

Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy introduction

Your doctor has recommended a tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for you, a loved one, or your child. The following information is provided to help individuals prepare for surgery, and to help those involved understand more clearly the associated benefits, risks, and complications. Patients or caregivers are encouraged to ask the doctor any questions they feel necessary to help better understand the above procedure.

The tonsils and adenoids are masses of immune cells commonly found in lymph glands (lymphoid tissue). These tissues are located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages, respectively. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Infected adenoids may become enlarged, obstruct breathing, cause ear infections or other problems. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are surgical procedures performed to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

These instructions are designed to help you, a loved one, or your child recover from surgery as easily as possible. Taking care of yourself the individual having surgery can prevent complications. The doctor will be happy to answer any questions that you or the person having surgery has regarding this material. If you or your loved one, or child is having ear tube surgery (myringotomies and tympanostomy tubes placed) in conjunction with his/her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, please read information on these procedures as well.

Return to Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Surgical Instructions

Comment from: JAC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I was terrified after reading others' experiences after adult tonsillectomy. It was not that horrible for me. Basically day 1, 2, and 3 almost no pain. Day 3 I had a follow up and he offered a steroid/Toradol shot. I accepted but didn't feel overwhelmed by pain. That got me about 24 hours of absolutely no pain. When that wore off, the pain was evident, but I never even took my pain medicines. I did, however, go back and got another steroid/Toradol shot, which got me through another 24 hours. The pain probably peaked day 6 and I was surprised that it lasted through about day 10, but my ENT was awesome and gave me a 3rd shot. For this reason, I never needed my pain medicines. I did set an alarm to take Tylenol and ibuprofen around the clock. Day 11 I started feeling better. Today is day 14 and I can eat whatever I want and am totally better. I drank a lot of water throughout the 14 days and used a humidifier. I cared for my 2 year old the whole time with no help and I was ok.

Comment from: slowlydying, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I am now on my fourth day out of tonsillectomy surgery and this has probably been the worst few days of my life. My last meal was the night before surgery (Tuesday) and since then I have had four popsicles, a couple bites of potatoes, applesauce, and baby food. I want food so badly but I know that not only can I not eat, but I can barely swallow. I started having an earache today and it's been miserable. My doctor have me all my medicine in pill form, which is just cruel. I did throw up the day after surgery and had to go back into the hospital from dehydration and extreme pain. I can't even open my mouth far enough to look at my throat, but hopefully it'll get better. Good luck my friends, this is awful.