Tonsillectomy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with tonsillectomy.

Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy introduction

Your doctor has recommended a tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy for you, a loved one, or your child. The following information is provided to help individuals prepare for surgery, and to help those involved understand more clearly the associated benefits, risks, and complications. Patients or caregivers are encouraged to ask the doctor any questions they feel necessary to help better understand the above procedure.

The tonsils and adenoids are masses of immune cells commonly found in lymph glands (lymphoid tissue). These tissues are located in the mouth and behind the nasal passages, respectively. Infected or enlarged tonsils may cause chronic or recurrent sore throat, bad breath, dental malocclusion, abscess, upper airway obstruction causing difficulty with swallowing, snoring, or sleep apnea. Infected adenoids may become enlarged, obstruct breathing, cause ear infections or other problems. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy are surgical procedures performed to remove the tonsils and adenoids.

These instructions are designed to help you, a loved one, or your child recover from surgery as easily as possible. Taking care of yourself the individual having surgery can prevent complications. The doctor will be happy to answer any questions that you or the person having surgery has regarding this material. If you or your loved one, or child is having ear tube surgery (myringotomies and tympanostomy tubes placed) in conjunction with his/her tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, please read information on these procedures as well.

Return to Tonsillectomy

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am on day 5 after tonsillectomy and I have not experienced much pain. As soon as I woke after the operation I drank iced water and ate a baked potato and some yogurt. My throat felt sore but I was able to eat and went home and had chips and a glass of red wine. I only took paracetamol every 6 hours, slept slightly elevated. I thought I would be in a lot more pain, when I have had tonsillitis the pain has been so much worse. I am now on day 5 and my throat feels nearly healed, I can feel the scabs at the back of my throat but I think I will be ok in a day or two. I am so glad I had my tonsils removed, after suffering tonsillitis 5 times this year my suffering will finally be over. Don't fear this operation, it is the best thing I ever did. Just constantly drink iced water even through the night and eat as much as you can and you will be fine.

Comment from: turtle2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am 22 and on day 7 of my recovery. Tonsillectomy recovery was so much worse than I could have ever imagined. I could eat a little the first few days, soup, ice cream etc. Then the pain became so intense I couldn't eat anything for the rest of the time. I felt so sick threw up 3 times on day 4. I had hunger pain, ear pain, head pain, neck and throat pain. So on day 7 I am waiting for scabs to hopefully fall off. I am still in pain but actually able to function this morning. I hope it is over soon. Nothing helps and nothing makes it easier. Good luck to anyone else reading all these posts wondering when you will get better.