Spider Bites - Black Widow

Have you or someone you know ever been bitten by a black widow spider? Describe the experience.

Black widow spider bite symptoms

A black widow spider bite is said to feel like a pinprick, although victims may not realize that they have been bitten. Sometimes double fang marks may be seen at the location of the bite. The most common localized symptoms of a black widow spider bite are immediate pain, burning, swelling, and redness.

Picture of the underside of a black widow spider and an egg sack
Picture of the underside of a black widow spider and an egg sack
Return to Spider Bites (Including Black Widow and Brown Recluse)

Comment from: Bobbie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I was bitten a year ago by a black widow spider. It was a very painful burning pain. Still today I am having pain and swelling.

Comment from: Green V, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Out in the afternoon felt something on my foot like I bumped it while I was walking. I paid no more attention to it. I came home about 3 hours later. My foot (ankle) started really hurting and had read that blood clots hurt and was considering going to the emergency room (ER). My foot started getting bigger and I noticed that there was a lump near my ankle more swollen than the rest of my foot. It was very painful. Finally I decided to take a big Benadryl, meaning a whole pink one, not a capsule. I had my foot up. In the morning it still hurt (not as badly) but I could see the bite better. I took Benadryl for two days. It finally got better and less painful. It took two weeks or more for my ankle to get closer to normal. I live in Florida in an area with lots of brown widow spiders. It had to have been that, from all the research I did. I have been bitten by a brown recluse too and they offer two different experiences. The brown widow hurts a lot. The brown recluse hurts but it is not a sharp or jabbing pain like the brown widow.