Spider Bites - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.

Please select the black square:

What are the symptoms of spider bites?

Bites from most (non-poisonous) spiders cause local redness, irritation, and pain that usually can be treated at home using an over-the-counter pain reliever along with application of cooling packs or a wet cloth to relieve swelling. These local reactions usually resolve without treatment over a period of 7-10 days. Rarely, an individual can have an allergic reaction to a spider bite, even to a bite from a non-poisonous spider, but allergic reactions are more likely to be due to contact with a spider than from a spider bite.

Return to Spider Bites (Including Black Widow and Brown Recluse)

Comment from: berly1965, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 12

I got bit while lying in bed I felt a sting and jumped up. Went and looked at it and it had already started swelling you can't touch it, and it has some black in it on the second day. Its hard to walk and you cant touch it and it bit me on the right lower side of my Stomach. It is sore to the touch.

Comment from: TerriG., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I was sitting in a chair outside when I felt a sharp sting. Within less than 1 minute there was a small red bump. This was shortly followed by a painful burning sensation. A couple of hours later the inside bend of my right arm was red in an approximately 2" x 3" area. The following day the redness had spread and the area felt hot to the touch and was painful and tender to touch. I am headed to the doctor tomorrow.