Spider Bites - Symptoms

Please describe your symptoms associated with a spider bite.

What are the symptoms of spider bites?

Bites from most (non-poisonous) spiders cause local redness, irritation, and pain that usually can be treated at home using an over-the-counter pain reliever along with application of cooling packs or a wet cloth to relieve swelling. These local reactions usually resolve without treatment over a period of 7-10 days. Rarely, an individual can have an allergic reaction to a spider bite, even to a bite from a non-poisonous spider, but allergic reactions are more likely to be due to contact with a spider than from a spider bite.

Return to Spider Bites (Including Black Widow and Brown Recluse)

Comment from: Guy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Spider bite on left foot discolored the vein at bite location. A short while later a small quantity of hives formed where clothes applied some pressure to the skin i.e., beltline, shirt cuffs, underwear elastic, socks and shoe lace area. There have been some measure of hives (physical urticaria) since, with one neck to knee full body outbreak. I was told hives can last up to two years. I treat with moisturizing soaps, Benadryl, and sometimes prednisone. The hives drive me crazy. Good days, bad days, I can't wait until this thing runs its course and I am back to normal.

Comment from: Doogaf87, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

Initially I had a small red and dark area on my ankle after the spider bite. I cleaned and dressed the wound. Day 2 was extremely painful with red encircling my malleolus. Day 3 I had a necrotic lesion about 2 to 3 cm. I went to the doctor and started Bactrim. Day 4, it is still painful and swollen. I have foot cramps, lower back and neck pain. Day 4 I am healing but have sciatica and low back/neck pain, and bite area is numb.