Bed Bugs - Identification

Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.

What are bed bugs? What do bed bugs look like?

Bed bugs are small, oval non-flying insects that belong to the insect family Cimicidae, which includes three species that bite people. Adult bed bugs reach 5 mm-7 mm in length, while nymphs (juveniles) are as small as 1.5 mm. Bed bugs have flat bodies and may sometimes be mistaken for ticks or small cockroaches. Bed bugs feed by sucking blood from humans or animals. Adult bed bugs are reddish brown in color, appearing more reddish after feeding on a blood meal. Nymphs are clear in color and appear bright red after feeding. The wings of bed bugs are vestigial, so they cannot fly. However, they are able to crawl rapidly. Temperatures between 70 F-80 F are most favorable for bed bugs, allowing them to develop into adults most rapidly and produce up to three generations per year.

Return to Bedbugs

Comment from: Dilu, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 26

Just to let you guys know I have seen and killed a bed bug just now. I realized when I saw four spots behind my back, it was very big, not like mosquito bite. It became very big after scratching so I thought of searching on google what actually are bed bugs, and the symptoms of its bite. Then I realized that it was bed bugs which bit me and not mosquitos, so I actually saw an image and where to find it. What I did was, I got up put the mattress upside down, took my magnifying glass and started looking for any kind of insects in my bed and then I saw an insect red in color with some different colors, small in size. So I just took it down and tried killing with a pen, it was so hard couldn't believe. I tried once again and killed the bug but you know, the moment I crushed the bug it was too smelly. So now I started searching for other bugs but couldn't get any.

Comment from: samuel, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My dad recently brought 2 chairs home that infested our home with bed bugs. The crevices of the bed were covered with little black spots, the bed was also covered. The bugs were visible so I checked my children's rooms. At first I didn't notice or see them on the beds, but after I checked several times I found their beds were badly infected. They were visible and new ones were hatching so I got rid of all beds, all but our clothing. I couldn't throw my kids' clothes away so I washed and dried them lots of times. Our skin still itches a little bit but I'm trying to decide if I need to throw our clothes away. We have put down poison and cleaned but still we itch.