Bed Bugs - Identification

Have you seen actual bed bugs? If so, please describe them, along with your experience at home or at a hotel.

Please select the black triangle:

What are bed bugs? What do bed bugs look like?

Bed bugs are small, oval non-flying insects that belong to the insect family Cimicidae, which includes three species that bite people. Adult bed bugs reach 5 mm-7 mm in length, while nymphs (juveniles) are as small as 1.5 mm. Bed bugs have flat bodies and may sometimes be mistaken for ticks or small cockroaches. Bed bugs feed by sucking blood from humans or animals. Adult bed bugs are reddish brown in color, appearing more reddish after feeding on a blood meal. Nymphs are clear in color and appear bright red after feeding. The wings of bed bugs are vestigial, so they cannot fly. However, they are able to crawl rapidly. Temperatures between 70 F-80 F are most favorable for bed bugs, allowing them to develop into adults most rapidly and produce up to three generations per year.

Return to Bedbugs

Comment from: bedbugvictim, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

Bed bugs are in homeless shelters in Grand Concourse. The staff bombed my room after I told them, with my clothes not being wrapped up. I'm about to move and now have to worry about carrying the bed bugs to my new place.

Comment from: Mitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been finding 2-4 adult bedbugs in sheets last 3-4 mornings. I squeezed them and left lots a blood. I don"t find bites on me but.