Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

What is the recovery like after wisdom teeth extraction?

The initial recovery and healing from wisdom tooth extraction usually occurs over about three to five days. It is normal to have slight bleeding (oozing) from the site considering the surgical procedure performed. The minor bleeding (oozing) after extraction should start to ease after the first 24 hours. Pain medication is often prescribed to help with any postoperative symptoms and discomfort. Usually, Tylenol, an ice pack and a mild narcotic is enough to provide pain relief. Some patients may be prescribed antibiotics. The patient will be asked to eat soft foods for a few days and avoid spicy foods, tobacco and alcohol use, and excessive exercise. The best remedies for pain following extraction are rest and giving the area time to heal. Adhering to the postoperative instructions of the surgeon is important to minimize any complications. Complete healing of the gums may take three to four weeks.

Return to Wisdom Teeth

Comment from: VS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I took penicillin for about 1 week, eating soft food and rinsing with salt water. My wisdom teeth surgery recovery was over within 2 weeks.

Comment from: whats goin on, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I had two top and one bottom wisdom teeth removed on 9/16/2015 and now it is 11/20/2015 and I'm still on pain killers for the side that had two removed. I've seen my surgeon and he still says it is healing fine. I don't think so.