Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

Please select the black square:

What is the recovery time after wisdom teeth extraction?

The initial recovery and healing from wisdom tooth extraction usually occurs over about three to five days. It is normal to have slight bleeding (oozing) from the site considering the surgical procedure performed. The minor bleeding (oozing) after extraction should start to ease after the first 24 hours. When the anesthesia wears off, there may be jaw stiffness, difficulty opening the mouth all the way, and some pain. Pain medication is often prescribed to help with any postoperative symptoms and discomfort. Usually, Tylenol, an ice pack, and a mild narcotic is enough to provide pain relief. Some patients may be prescribed antibiotics. The patient will be asked to eat soft foods for a few days and avoid spicy foods, tobacco and alcohol use, and excessive exercise for three to four days following surgery. One of the most important things to remember is to avoid smoking after wisdom teeth removal. Smoking will delay the healing process and increase the chance of postoperative pain and complications. The best remedies for pain following extraction are rest and giving the area time to heal. Adhering to the postoperative instructions of the surgeon is important to minimize any complications. Complete healing of the gums may take three to four weeks.

Return to Wisdom Teeth

Comment from: Owie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I am 45, I had my wisdom teeth out on Friday. It's Monday now and I still feel awful. I am trying not to take the Vicodin anymore because it just makes me loopy, but I just feel bad all over. I have stomach ache, headache, nausea, fuzzy feeling in my head. My jaw and site of the extractions did hurt quite a bit but have subsided, but I still feel horrible. Don't wait until you're middle-aged to get them out. Do it while you're young and can recover faster.

Comment from: Simone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Friday the 18th March my surgeon removed both my bottom impacted wisdom teeth. It is now Monday and I still look like a chipmunk! I don't have any real pain, just pain from my swollen face and my mouth looks okay inside, but I'm getting fever and I don't know why because I am on antibiotics.