Wisdom Teeth - Recovery

How was your recovery after wisdom teeth extraction?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the recovery like after wisdom teeth extraction?

The initial recovery and healing from wisdom tooth extraction usually occurs over about three to five days. It is normal to have slight bleeding (oozing) from the site considering the surgical procedure performed. The minor bleeding (oozing) after extraction should start to ease after the first 24 hours. Pain medication is often prescribed to help with any postoperative symptoms and discomfort. Usually, Tylenol, an ice pack and a mild narcotic is enough to provide pain relief. Some patients may be prescribed antibiotics. The patient will be asked to eat soft foods for a few days and avoid spicy foods, tobacco and alcohol use, and excessive exercise. The best remedies for pain following extraction are rest and giving the area time to heal. Adhering to the postoperative instructions of the surgeon is important to minimize any complications. Complete healing of the gums may take three to four weeks.

Return to Wisdom Teeth

Comment from: yad, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 30

It has been 8 days since I had my lower left wisdom tooth taken out and I've finished my antibiotic metronidazole and it's still painful. Soreness of my inner cheek was nasty too though that has healed. Hope to be better soon!

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I thought I was losing my mind. I had one wisdom tooth extracted over a week ago and it still hurts. The side of my mouth where the extraction was, is very painful, slowly subsiding. The lower jawbone, upper jawbone and surrounding teeth all hurt. I followed the steps for after care, even rinsing with warm salty water. Nothing seemed to help. I went back to my dentist and he treated me for a dry socket and gave me antibiotics too. It is still painful and I am still having to take pain medicine. Besides dealing with the pain, I have dealt with the feeling that others think I should not be hurting after this long time. I am tired of hurting and want it to stop.