Aphasia - Causes

What was the cause of aphasia in you or someone you know? Please share your experience.

Who has aphasia?

Most commonly seen in adults who have suffered a stroke, aphasia can also result from a brain tumor, infection, head injury, or dementia that damages the brain. It is estimated that about 1 million people in the United States today suffer from aphasia. The type and severity of language dysfunction depends on the precise location and extent of the damaged brain tissue.

Return to Aphasia

Comment from: Gomes, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

My mum suffered from a severe stroke attack in December 2011 and her right side is paralyzed. She cannot walk nor stand but she can sit on a chair with help and sits on her bed on her own. She can eat on her own, she can drink on her own. Speech is a problem till now. She can say her prayers in full sentence fluently, she can also sing but no proper interactive speech; she only says yes or no. She can identify a few of her belongings.

Comment from: ann, 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a stroke 2 years back. I was a nurse before. The stroke affected my left hemisphere including temporal and parietal lobe. This area affects my language and causes aphasia. Sometime I am not coherent. I try to find some words, but I found I get right sometimes and wrong sometimes. I correct my pronunciation but sometime I fail, sometime I get it right. I had stroke because of middle artery dissection in 2011.

Stay Informed!