Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy

If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.

Please select the black triangle:

Should I be concerned if I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and want to become pregnant?

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not a reason to avoid pregnancy. However, some women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis do have trouble conceiving. In addition to careful obstetric care, management of thyroid hormone replacement by an endocrinologist is helpful. Before conception and during pregnancy, levels of thyroid hormones need to be monitored and optimized by checking TSH levels, and if necessary, adjusting the medication dose. The target goal is usually within the range for nonpregnant women but at the higher end of the normal range.

Return to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I didn't know I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis or any other thyroid issues when trying to conceive. With both babies it took about 9 months to conceive and both were born at 36 weeks. Because I didn't know I had Hashimoto's I couldn't understand why they came a bit earlier but since both were healthy I didn't worry about it too much. Now I know why!

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I was married at 37 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. About a year later during a physical with a new doctor my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. I became pregnant very quickly but miscarried. Once my TSH was in a normal range I had a successful pregnancy. I have two children. I had to adjust my medication to get pregnant at age 41 with my 2nd child as well.