Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Pregnancy

If you have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, please share your experience with conceiving and/or pregnancy.

Please select the white circle:

Should I be concerned if I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and want to become pregnant?

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is not a reason to avoid pregnancy. However, some women with Hashimoto's thyroiditis do have trouble conceiving. In addition to careful obstetric care, management of thyroid hormone replacement by an endocrinologist is helpful. Before conception and during pregnancy, levels of thyroid hormones need to be monitored and optimized. The target goal is usually within the range for nonpregnant women but at the higher end of the normal range.

Return to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Comment from: momofsix, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I went a long time without being diagnosed with Hashimoto's. I was able to get pregnant but had with several of my children, very high levels of anxiety so much that I couldn't breastfeed. After my fourth child was born and a week later I was back in my size 6 skirt, I knew something wasn't right. By the time the endocrinologist did my TSH and the other lab tests, my thyroid was almost nonfunctioning. It took about three weeks to get my medicine levels right and then I have been so much better. I do think that the extreme problems with my thyroid levels had something to do with my severe feelings of anxiety and I wish I had been diagnosed properly to begin with but many times women are diagnosed with postpartum depression when it's really thyroiditis.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had Hashimoto"s thyroiditis since I was 16. I was married for three years before I conceived and then found out I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. Two months after removal of the affected fallopian tube I then found out I was pregnant again and now have 3 children. I don"t know if hypothyroidism affects the ability to conceive but I took the time to monitor my basal temperature to know when I was ovulating because I didn"t know back then that when ovulation is occurring it"s not always one ovary then the next month the other releases eggs. Don"t give up if you are trying!