Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Please select the black square:

How are swollen lymph nodes diagnosed?

Swollen lymph nodes closer to the surface of the body are generally diagnosed by a doctor's examination and feeling for areas known to have coalescence of lymph nodes, for example, swollen lymph nodes under the arms (axillary lymph nodes), swollen lymph nodes in the sides of the neck (cervical lymph nodes), or swollen lymph nodes in the groin (inguinal lymph nodes). These swollen lymph nodes can be seen and felt easily.

Other times, deeper lymph nodes could be seen on imaging studies, such as CT scan (computed tomography), of different parts of the body.

Tonsils in the back of the throat are also lymph nodes, and they are the most visible ones in the body.

Diagnosing the cause of swollen lymph nodes may be challenging at times. The most important component of evaluating a swollen lymph node is a thorough medical history and a complete physical examination by a doctor. The doctor may ask you about symptoms such as sore throat, fever and chills, fatigue, weight loss, a complete list of medications, sexual activity, vaccination history, recent travels, the patient's own and his/her family's previous history of cancers if any, and so forth.

A group of lymph nodes in a particular area of the body react to disturbances in that general region. If there is a specific infection in the region of the swollen lymph nodes, that may be the most likely cause of swelling. For instance, an infection of the leg or some sexually transmitted diseases can cause swelling of the lymph nodes in the groin area.

Physicians usually examine the lymph nodes by feeling them and characterize them based upon what the lymph nodes feel like. They could be characterized, for example, as:

• Large or small
  • Tender or non-tender
  • Fixed or mobile
  • Hard or soft
  • Firm or rubbery

These characteristics can be useful in suggesting the cause of the lymph node swelling. For example, a hard, nontender, nonmoveable lymph node may be more characteristic of a cancer spread to that node. On the other hand, a soft, tender, moveable lymph node could more likely represent an infection.

If the enlarged lymph nodes are suspected to be related to a cancer, then a biopsy of the lymph node may determine the cancer type. For example, a swollen lymph node around the collar bone (supraclavicular lymph node), may signify lung cancer in a person who may have other clinical clues suggestive of lung cancer.

Return to Swollen Lymph Nodes

Comment from: Rell, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

My lymph nodes became swollen about 3 weeks ago. I didn't pay it any mind because it wasn't painful until one night I couldn't swallow and I had to drink water to get the lump out of my throat. About the third week the pain became unbearable. I couldn't eat and a little bump under my tongue would grow as I ate. With Google you begin to self-diagnose yourself thinking the worst. So I went to urgent care only to find out that I had a bad dental job (root canal) and the infection was under my cap. I began to take antibiotics and by day 3 I could eat again. I have to follow up with my dentist because after all the money I spent, the root canal may have been a waste of money and I still may have to get it redone. Hopefully this eases some tension and you go get yourself cheeked.

Comment from: gego9999, Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I felt warmth in the right side of my jaw, and my dentist sent me for CT. The result was as follows: multiple small lymph nodes, less than 0.5 centimeters are appreciated at the submental group, both submandibular regions, superficial to the right parotid gland as well as the deep cervical groups bilaterally. I am so concerned, I am a 41 years old male.