Hashimoto's Thyroiditis - Treatment

What types of treatment or medication have you received for Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment of Hashimoto's thyroiditis?

There is no cure for Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The timeframe of the autoimmune process and inflammation will continue is not predictable. In the vast majority of patients, hypothyroidism results from the inflammatory process.

Thyroid hormone medication can replace the hormones the thyroid made before the inflammation started. There are two major thyroid hormones made by a healthy gland (T3 and T4). Replacing one or both of these hormones can alleviate the symptoms caused by the absolute or relative lack of hormones as a consequence of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Without medication, there is very little chance the thyroid would be able to maintain hormone levels within the normal range, and symptoms and signs of hypothyroidism would occur or worsen.

Return to Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Comment from: Nila, Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's last week through blood tests. I take a Synthroid, but I have heard about another medicine called Naltrexone prescribed for patients with other autoimmune disease such as MS and cancer. I heard a low dosage of it is very helpful in treating autoimmune hypothyroidism in a way that it can stop antibodies from not attacking the thyroid cells and cure the problem. I have asked my GP about it but she does not have any idea about it. I hope somebody could help if has any information on it.

Comment from: Hutch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

The disease was found during an anti body test. Since then I have had my thyroid removed and I have been trying to balance my medication of over 3 years. I have been told that my body is very sensitive and that minor changes cause my medication to not balance. I believe my levels are off because now I am feeling the joint and muscle pain and my hair is falling out. However, I do know that when my levels are good, I feel so much better.