Body Dysmorphic Disorder - Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your body dysmorphic disorder?

What are the symptoms of BDD?

• Being preoccupied with minor or imaginary physical flaws, usually of the skin, hair, and nose, such as acne, scarring, facial lines, marks, pale skin, thinning hair, excessive body hair, large nose, or crooked nose.
  • Having a lot of anxiety and stress about the perceived flaw and spending a lot of time focusing on it, such as frequently picking at skin, excessively checking appearance in a mirror, hiding the imperfection, comparing appearance with others, excessively grooming, seeking reassurance from others about how they look, and getting cosmetic surgery.

Getting cosmetic surgery can make BDD worse. They are often not happy with the outcome of the surgery. If they are, they may start to focus attention on another body area and become preoccupied trying to fix the new "defect." In this case, some patients with BDD become angry at the surgeon for making their appearance worse and may even become violent towards the surgeon.

Return to Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I suffered with body dysmorphic disorder for 20 years. My lower legs have been the issue. I don't take any medication. I hide them always. I have been preoccupied with the appearance.

Comment from: deem, Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I have been suffering from body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) since 2012 and I got to know that just now. I am obsessed that my hair is nothing. Back in 11th standard I started feeling that, even though I had loads of hair and always used to see mirrors and check whether I have lost hair. I took pictures, loads of them, and cried because I am balding, but in reality am not. I am now 19, I have a bit receding hair line, and I am obsessed about it. I have researched about baldness too much and I think all that baldness is now due to my BDD and if I stop this I might regain my hair a bit.