Sleep-Related Breathing Disorders - Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your sleep-related breathing disorder.

What are sleep related breathing disorders?

Sleep related breathing disorders are a group of disorders that affect our breathing while we are asleep, and are characterized by disruptions of normal breathing patterns that only occur during sleep. Therefore, the person with the disorder may be the last to know he or she has a problem. Sleep related breathing disorders constitute a subset of the broad group of sleep disorders that include many other disorders such as insomnia (difficulty sleeping), hypersomnias (inappropriately falling asleep, for example, narcolepsy), parasomnias (activities during sleep, for example, sleepwalking and sleep terrors), and sleep related movement disorders (for example, restless leg syndrome). The most common sleep related breathing disorders are snoring and sleep apnea.

Return to Sleep Related Breathing Disorders

Comment from: taj, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

After approximately each hour of being sleep, I am awake finding difficulties in breathing. I feel as if I have gone through snoring and feel pain in the throat or something disturbing. My brain has gone through short disturbing dreams as I feel mentally tired. Sometimes I remember those small events but not all. Very often getting stuck in traffic, losing my car or falling down from higher place.

Comment from: wessam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I recently went on vacation with a friend who said I snored very loud and had periods of not breathing. My husband and I do not sleep together because we both snore. I am finding that I am more tired recently than before. I have always had sinus infections and feel like my right nostril is always partially blocked. I have always said I would like to die in my sleep, but I am not ready yet.