Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia?

What are the symptoms of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT)?

PSVT often presents with the complaints of palpitations described as a rapid heart rate. There can also be a fullness in the throat that is associated with the rapid heartbeat. Other symptoms include the following:

• lightheadedness,
  • weakness and fatigue,
  • shortness of breath,
  • chest pressure, and
  • syncope (passing out) may also occur.

The symptoms of PSVT usually occur while the heart is beating quickly but the fatigue can persist after the heartbeat returns to normal. By its nature, PSVT is intermittent and its onset cannot be predicted. As well, once the heart starts to beat quickly, there is no way of predicting if and when it will return to normal rhythm on its own. Some patients are unaware that their heart is beating quickly and PSVT is found only when the patient presents for care and is found to have a rapid heartbeat.

Return to Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT)

Comment from: Jazzrider56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I had my first episodes of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia last fall. I felt so dizzy one day I called in sick to work. It resolved but happened again a few weeks later. I again felt dizzy, felt my heart racing and could actually see my shirt fluttering over my heart. I went to the emergency department (ED) at work (I'm a nurse) and my heart rate was well over 200 bpm. Valsalva maneuver was not effective, two doses of IV Lopressor did the trick. I was transferred and monitored the rest of the day. I was put on metoprolol, Eliquis, and Rhythmol. Metoprolol was discontinued as it made my pressure too low and dosage of Rhythmol was changed twice as I was still having a few episodes. Currently I'm taking 425 mg Rhythmol and five mg Eliquis twice daily with good results. Sure got my attention when they brought in the crash cart!

Comment from: swampfilly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have been dealing with paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) for about 4 years. I have been in and out of the hospital, tried Coreg and Cardizem, which don't seem to help. Coreg restricted my breathing when exercising, which is not good since I am active. The cardiologist simply say it is non-life threatening. I feel like I have been kicked to the curb, it is life limiting since I still work and wake up exhausted when I spend a night in PSVT.