Cauda Equina - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your cauda equina?

What are the causes of cauda equina syndrome?

Cauda equina syndrome can be caused by any condition that results in direct irritation or pinching of the nerves at the end of the spinal cord. Causes of cauda equina syndrome include herniation of lumbar intervertebral discs, abnormal growths (tumor or cancer) adjacent to the lower spinal cord, localized infection near the spinal cord (epidural abscess, and localized bleeding (epidural hematoma) causing pressure on the spinal cord in the low back.

Localized lumbar tumors that can lead to cauda equine syndrome include ependymomas, metastatic cancer, and Paget's disease of bone. Localized infection near the spinal cord can be caused by staphylococcus bacteria, tuberculosis bacteria (Mycobacterium tuberculosis from Pott's disease), and others.

Return to Cauda Equina Syndrome

Comment from: Capricew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For me it happened during my spinal fusion surgery. My surgeon nicked the spinal sack. The symptoms were immediate. It's been four months and there's just a small amount of improvement. I still have partial numbness in my lower legs, feet, buttocks and the back of my thighs. My bladder issues have improved a little.

Comment from: mlang52, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

My cauda equina occurred immediately, after a broken back, from a twenty foot fall. L-2 exploded fragments into the spinal canal. The neurosurgeon delayed treatment, both of us wanting to be conservative. But, it never changed from the time I hit the ground. I had a five level fusion.