Progressive Supranuclear Palsy - Later Symptoms

Do you have a friend or relative with PSP? Please discuss the later symptoms associated with the disease.

Please select the black triangle:

What Are Some of the Later Symptoms of PSP?

The word "progressive" was included in the palsy's name because symptoms typically progressively worsen for a patient. After seven to nine years, PSP becomes more difficult to deal with. The disease usually causes physical imbalance and stiffness of the body to grow worse, making walking very difficult or sometimes impossible.

Problems with eyesight also occur in the later stages of PSP. Usually visual problems can become as much of an issue as impaired walking for the patient. Eyesight is most affected by the difficulty to aim the eye properly, making reading very hard. Another eyesight problem that is sometimes encountered is the inability to maintain visual contact with another person during conversation. PSP can also cause "tunnel vision", which sometimes causes problems while a person is trying to drive a car.

Return to Progressive Supranuclear Palsy

Comment from: Harpo, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: October 18

My mum passed away 7 months ago. She had been diagnosed with Parkinson's approximately 5 years ago. However she had aspirated a year ago but pulled through. Within 3 months she had lost all ability to walk, etc. and needed to be hoisted and her speech and ability to swallow had almost gone. When I questioned the staff in her nursing home about her medications they said she was discharged from the hospital but wasn't on any medication. Mom aspirated again, the hospital was confronted about medications and we were told she would have got worse anyway. Mum became very ill with infection and was in the hospital for 11 weeks. Mum wanted a feeding tube fitted so they did that. Within a week she got sepsis and within 10 days she passed away. My Mum lived in Dublin and I in the UK. I would fly home every month to look after her and my family would be with her every day so we noticed the changes very quickly. My biggest regret was I wasn't there the night she passed. As regards Parkinson's medications I feel the 6 months mum was without her medications, the disease was rapid.

Comment from: evelyn, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My husband of 26 years passed away on March 10th, 2014 of this terrible disease PSP. No medications helped him. He fought a hard fight. He finally took a nose dive in the middle of February. The last month was terrible! He was in so much pain. He turned stiff and just quit eating or drinking anything. He lost his voice, he was so weak, and he could not sit in a wheelchair without sliding out. He cried for help; it was awful. I miss him so much but so glad he is out of pain! Hope they find a cure.