Diabetic Neuropathy - Self-Care

Please share self-care tips that help relieve symptoms associated with diabetic neuropathy.

Please select the black triangle:

What are self-care measures to help relieve diabetic neuropathy?

There are a number of self- and home care measures that you can take to relieve the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. Examples are:

• Using a device known as a bed cradle to keep bedcovers off of sensitive feet and lower legs
  • Using heat or cold patches, but since diabetic neuropathy can damage sensory nerves, care should be taken to avoid burns or freezing
  • Eating small, frequent meals and avoiding fatty foods may help those with digestive symptoms
  • Standing up slowly or wearing elastic compression stockings can improve orthostatic hypotension
  • Exercises, stretching, or massage may help relieve pain
Return to Diabetic Neuropathy

Comment from: dj, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I was diagnosed with diabetes in April of 1980. Gradually, I have experienced lots of problems. I can't function sexually with my wife, and I have been suffering from an enlarged prostate; fungus on my feet, nails, and thumbs; am overweight, possibly due to prolonged use of insulin; have really bad neuropathy in my the feet; and hardly any feeling left in both my feet. I'm wondering if a transplant would help and if anyone has had experience with this.