Corneal Disease - Diagnosis

Please describe the events that led to a diagnosis of corneal disease.

Please select the black triangle:

How is corneal disease diagnosed?

An eye doctor will need to obtain a complete medical history and perform a careful examination of the eye and surrounding structures. The cornea is examined in detail using a slit lamp microscope. The doctor may also use eye drops and colored dyes to diagnose certain conditions. Additional tests are sometimes necessary, including topography and keratometry (to study the shape of the cornea); pachymetry (to study the thickness of the cornea) and specialized microscopy; and laboratory studies in some cases.

Return to Corneal Disease

Comment from: guillermo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 20

I had a cataract removed 3 weeks ago and since then my sight has gone from bad to worse. The eye surgeon said that the operation was a success! My eye does not stop weeping, the vision is nonexistent, and everything is a blur - like looking through a milky haze. I saw the eye surgeon again today and she has told me that I have a damaged cornea and on the papers it is written cornea guttata. She has given me eye drops to use every 6 hours and ointment to use at night. Am I likely to get my vision back? It is so frustrating and depressing. I may be in my 70's but am very active, play golf, walk, drive but now these activities are being curtailed.