MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

What does a MRSA infection look like?

On the skin, MRSA infection may begin as a reddish rash with lesion(s) that looks like a pimple or small boil. Often it progresses to an open, inflamed area of skin (as pictured below) that may weep pus or drain other similar fluid. In some instances, it may appear as an abscess, a swollen, tender area, often with reddish skin covering. When the abscess is cut open or spontaneously bursts open, pus drains from the area (see Figure 2). See the first web citation for more clinical MRSA pictures, or see the MRSA slideshow listed above.

Return to MRSA

Comment from: strangerthanur, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been dealing with MRSA now for over 5 years. I have had it on my eye, my chin, buttocks, hip, knee, back of my thigh and I am getting an outbreak on my eyebrow bone. I have been dealing with breakouts for the last 2 months on my face and I have been doing it all, sanitizing all the areas I am in and keeping my infected area clean and mostly covered because the areas I get it in, it is hard to put a band aid on sometimes. So I put a big blob of triple antibiotic ointment on it and mostly hope it won't get full blown. I have even resorted to straight Clorox bleach drenched on a cotton ball directly on the infected area before it gets full blown. I know when I am getting a symptom of MRSA and I immediately go into prevention mode. I have too many scars from this nasty infection so I try to keep it from getting full blown. My infections only take 3days to be full blown then it's too late and it's a longer recovery time. I have done all the hospitals and doctors and medical bills that are outrageous, so I started treating myself and I let my immune system help fight it off. The prevention procedures I battle it with also help so the out breaks don't get as nasty and painful like before and the recovery time is about a week; but I must be diligent the whole time during the infection. I will say I am getting tired because it's been nonstop for me now for almost 2 months but I will not let this bug win no matter what.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I had a hysterectomy in 2011 and shortly after my surgery I started to develop small blisters on my lower arms. My doctor could not figure out what it was at first. It took until September of 2013 to get diagnosed as MRSA. Since my diagnosis both my arms have been covered from shoulder to the tops of my hands several times. I am allergic to sulfur so I was prescribed clindamycin and Bactroban ointment. Three weeks ago the MRSA infection started to attack my joints. I am a mother of 2 and I could not even lift my arms to hug my children. I went to the doctor and he gave me prednisone steroid which helped immensely, my arms were clear and joint pain was gone within 3 days, only to wake up this morning to another flare up on my arms, and the joint pain back. This is a terrible awful disease to have and I feel for each and every person who is suffering with it.