MRSA - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with MRSA.

What does a MRSA infection look like?

On the skin, MRSA infection may begin as a reddish rash with lesion(s) that looks like a pimple or small boil. Often it progresses to an open, inflamed area of skin (as pictured below) that may weep pus or drain other similar fluid. In some instances, it may appear as an abscess, a swollen, tender area, often with reddish skin covering. When the abscess is cut open or spontaneously bursts open, pus drains from the area (see Figure 2). See the first web citation for more clinical MRSA pictures, or see the MRSA slideshow listed above.

Return to MRSA

Comment from: Hodema, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I somehow contracted MRSA about 8 or 9 years ago. I'm not exactly sure how because it could have been from using the bathroom after an extended family member with a leaking boil used it (I didn't know though). I ended up getting a boil on my right butt cheek which grew to about the size of a quarter within three days and was very, very painful. So I ended up going to the emergency room since it was the weekend and they asked me questions pertaining to a possible spider bite. Then they told me it was a boil and lanced it. I followed up with my doctor and he prescribed me Bactrim. Then after a few months and a lot of boils later he told me he found out it was MRSA. At that time he prescribed me Cefzil and cefuroxime one after the other. I can say it helped, but didn't stop me from getting boils. Since then I have moved and have found out I have other diseases so I've kind of put it on the back burner until now. Now my job is on the line because I work in a cheese factory. I always have at least one boil at all times, mostly on my face and jaw because I am already prone to acne and also on my shoulders and back and occasionally on my butt, arms and vagina. I am tired of suffering from this and my other diseases and I wish more people, especially doctors, knew more about it. I really don't know what it has done to the inside of my body all these years of no treatment, but I also have endometriosis so I may never know because my insides don't look very good now anyway.

Comment from: SeaDog, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 22

I have been diagnosed with MRSA and have had 4 surgeries to open, drain and flush the openings. My MRSA colonized in my pubic area and I was told it was only a result of the many hernia surgeries I have had. I am a urostomate (where I got the MRSA in 2003) and have herniated around the ostomy site as well as along my abdominal scar lines. I am diabetic, and have 5 discs in my back that are degenerative. I cannot now have surgery or any injections in my back to relieve the pain. MRSA will be the cause of my death, my doctors all tell me I am in the best health I will ever be. Depression rules my life. I live on antibiotics which have destroyed my bladder and caused the urostomy, overtreatment by antibiotics.