Dry Skin - Home Remedies

Please share any home remedies that help relieve dry skin.

Please select the white circle:

What are some home remedies for dry skin?

Apply an emollient cream two or three times daily to wet skin.

Dry skin may be improved by taking lukewarm showers or baths and avoiding excess skin scrubbing. Hot water and harsh scrubbing can take away the natural oils that protect skin and make the skin even drier.

Dry skin may be prevented by use of gentle cleansers. Non-scented, mild cleansers or soap-free products like Aveeno, Cetaphil, Dove, or Neutrogena are recommended for dry and sensitive skin. Many scented, deodorant, and antibacterial soaps can be too harsh and wash off natural skin-protecting oils.

Special moisturizers containing lactic acid (Amlactin, Lac-Hydrin), or urea (Urix or Carmol) are also effective in hydrating the skin.

Mild soaps and cleansers include

• Dove soapless cleanser,
  • Aveeno cleanser,
  • Cetaphil cleanser.

Mild moisturizers without perfumes are good for dry skin. Thick and greasy emollients work best. Typically, moisturizers should be applied within three to five minutes of bathing when the skin is still damp.

The moisture on the skin and in the environment is very important to dry skin. Maintaining the skin at optimal hydration and using an indoor humidifier may help improve dry skin.

Return to Dry Skin

Comment from: Caly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been advised that milk thistle will help with my dry skin problem.

Comment from: Bubba, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

At my doctor's suggestion several years ago, I started to put Vaseline (petroleum jelly, petrolatum) on my cracking feet, especially under the heel area. Then I would place a plastic bag over it for a half hour to a couple hours. I would do this once or twice a week after showers. If the showers were at a public place, I would put a thin layer of an anti-fungal, usually clotrimazole, on first, especially between my toes. I have found this to be extremely effective and inexpensive.