Dry Skin - Medical Conditions

Do you have any medical conditions that are the cause of your dry skin? If so, how do you relieve the symptoms?

What medical conditions cause dry skin?

Certain physiological changes and medical conditions may cause dry skin. The onset of dry skin may be due to aging or hormonal changes, as seen in menopausal women. In some cases, individuals who have medical conditions such as hypothyroidism, diabetes, or malnutrition (for example, deficiency of vitamin A) may suffer from xerosis.

The following medical conditions may cause dry skin:

• Hypothyroidism
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Diabetes
  • Malnutrition
  • Atopic dermatitis
Return to Dry Skin

Comment from: Cocoabutter, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I have forced air heat in the winter and suffer with dry legs so badly that it upsets my sleep and then I get up and scratch them red. It burns then and I have used cocoa butter and that helps but that is after the damage to the skin has occurred, so it is like closing the door to the barn after the horses have left! It is one am and I am still up with burning, stinging legs and they are very red right now. I feel miserable and very tired but still have an itch but not quite as bad as it was when I went to bed. Sometimes I scratch so much I bleed. That is the worst it gets. Showers seem to contribute to the itching. I only shower once a week because of this condition. When I do not put the cocoa butter on after the shower I have problems later. I feel terrible.

Comment from: Mother Theresa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had itching skin and I find Vicks, Tiger Balm or Deep Heat, any of these can relieve the itch but for dry skin only Sorbolene or coconut oil seem to help, plus drinking more liquids.

Stay Informed!