Nerve Disease and Bladder Control - Tests

What tests or procedures were performed to evaluate your bladder control issues related to nerve disease?

Please select the black square:

How will the doctor test for nerve damage and bladder control problems?

Any evaluation for a health problem begins with a medical history and a general physical examination. Your doctor can use this information to narrow down the possible causes for your bladder problem.

If nerve damage is suspected, the doctor may need to test both the bladder itself and the nervous system, including the brain. Three different kinds of tests might be used:

Urodynamics. These tests involve measuring pressure in the bladder while it is being filled to see how much it can hold and then checking to see whether the bladder empties completely and efficiently.

Imaging. The doctor may use different types of equipment - ultrasound, X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and computerized tomography (CT) scans -- to take pictures of the urinary tract and nervous system, including the brain.

EEG and EMG. An electroencephalograph (EEG) is a test in which wires with pads are placed on the forehead to sense any dysfunction in the brain. The doctor may also use an electromyograph (EMG), which uses wires with pads placed on the lower abdomen to test the nerves and muscles of the bladder.

Return to Nerve Disease and Bladder Control

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a panproctocolectomy (removal of large bowel and rectum) nearly three years ago as a result of nerve damage. I now have no call to urinate. In other words, I don't know when I need to urinate. Although I just go every few hours and so am not incontinent, it is very stressful. The medics say nothing can be done. Would it help to see a neurologist? I have been left with a permanent ileostomy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

On March 15, 2012 I endured a major spinal surgery, it had to be done. Spring of this year after having an EMG done I now have nerve damage according to the test, nerve damage after said surgery. Since then I've been having bladder control problems.