Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

What are the signs and symptoms of kidney infection?

Some of the common symptoms of kidney infection include:

• fever,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • abdominal pain,
  • shivering,
  • shaking -- chills,
  • painful urination (dysuria),
  • frequent urination (urinary frequency),
  • urge to urinate (urinary urgency),
  • flank and low and mid back pain (dull kidney pain), and
  • generalized malaise.

Signs of kidney infection on exam may include:

• fever,
  • tenderness on the flanks (costo-vertebral angle tenderness, referring to tenderness upon tapping gently on the mid back on the sides), and
  • clinical evidence of infection in the urinalysis (analysis of urine).

In elderly patients and those with weak immune systems, kidney infection may be more severe with confusion, lethargy, rapid heart rate, low blood pressure, and dehydration.

Return to Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)

Comment from: jordan, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Back pain, chills, fever, tingling and numbness in legs, and arms and feet turning blue are my kidney infection symptoms.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 27

I been having lower back pain on the right side for a while. I am being treated for a bulging disc and arthritis but the pain has been getting worse. I was taken to the emergency room after being dizzy and continuous diarrhea. At the hospital I started vomiting. My white cell count was high but no fever, no infection in my blood and no urinary tract infection. I am taking prednisone and other medicines that apparently make my immune system weak. The doctor feels that's what caused my kidney infection.