Kidney Infection - Symptoms

Please describe your kidney infection symptoms.

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of kidney infection?

Some of the common symptoms of kidney infection include:

• fever,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • abdominal pain,
  • shivering,
  • shaking -- chills,
  • painful urination (dysuria),
  • frequent urination (urinary frequency),
  • urge to urinate (urinary urgency),
  • flank and low and mid back pain (dull kidney pain), and
  • generalized malaise.

Signs of kidney infection on exam may include:

• fever,
  • tenderness on the flanks (costo-vertebral angle tenderness, referring to tenderness upon tapping gently on the mid back on the sides), and
  • clinical evidence of infection in the urinalysis (analysis of urine).

In elderly patients and those with weak immune systems, kidney infection may be more severe with confusion, lethargy, rapid heart rate, low blood pressure, and dehydration.

Return to Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)

Comment from: pinki300183, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have a kidney infection with possible stones. I don't have a fever but I have pain under my chest that goes into side and groin area. I struggled to breathe at one point as the pain is so severe. I went to doctors and had no blood in urine but had protein and white blood cells. I feel like I have the flu, I ache all over and have nausea. I am currently taking trimethoprim to help.

Comment from: Ardithann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I have been having spasms on the lower right side. I have had medicines for bladder and kidney infection. My urine is a heavy yellow though I drink lots of water, tea and juice. I had a cold since February 20, 2015. It goes away for a couple of days and back again. I just can't shake it. Just in the last couple of days my legs have been hurting and I am tried. I am not sleeping well. I know that it is all connected; I see my doctor on May 8th.