Urinary Retention - Symptoms

Describe the symptoms associated with urinary retention.

What are the symptoms of urinary retention?

Acute urinary retention causes great discomfort, and even pain. You feel an urgent need to urinate but you simply can't. The lower belly is bloated.

Chronic urinary retention, by comparison, causes mild but constant discomfort. You have difficulty starting a stream of urine. Once started, the flow is weak. You may need to go frequently, and once you finish, you still feel the need to urinate. You may dribble between trips to the toilet because your bladder is constantly full, a condition called overflow incontinence.

Return to Urinary Retention

Comment from: NONE, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 22

My bladder problems began about 25 years ago, now I still have bladder retention and have to catheterize 5-6 times a night. It has made me depressed and heavy on hydrocodone and Xanax. The urologist says only catheterizing myself will work.

Comment from: T Roth, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

It was strange. I went to the bathroom and relieved myself with no problem. The next time I had to go nothing happened. I began to feel pain so I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with acute urinal retention. I was given a catheter to relieve my bladder. I am waiting to go back for follow up. Dealing with a range of emotions right now. I had not shown any symptoms until I was just unable to go. I was given Flomax to help with the problem.