Bladder Spasms - Causes

If known, what is the cause of your bladder spasms?

What Causes Bladder Spasms?

There are a number of different causes of bladder spasms. The cramping pain could be due to something as simple as your diet or a medication that you are taking, or it could be associated with changes in blood supply and function of the nerves controlling the bladder.

However, bladder spasms may be the result of an infection or a recent surgery, or they may occur if you have nerve or muscle damage. So it's important to see a doctor to determine the cause.

In some cases, your doctor may not be able to identify the cause. When this happens, the condition is called idiopathic bladder spasms.

Some common causes of bladder spasms are:

• Urinary tract infection (UTI): Bladder pain and burning are a common symptom of a UTI.

• Interstitial cystitis (IC), also called painful bladder syndrome: This condition refers to bladder and urinary pain that is not due to other causes, such as a urinary tract infection. Pain is recurring and often severe.

• Catheter use: A catheter is a thin tube used to drain urine from the body, often after surgery. It is placed into the urethra and up into your bladder. Bladder spasms are a common and sometimes distressing complication of catheter usage.
Return to Bladder Spasms

Comment from: winngib, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I have ripping tearing pains down both sides below my hips. These tearing pains double me over and they continue on a regular basis. After I empty my bladder I really double over and it hurts really badly. I have been to many doctors about this pain. I had rectocele and enterocele surgery and still have this ripping tearing pain. I have had false senses of having to urinate many times and it can drive one crazy and not really bad leakage, but I do have some.

Comment from: crazynana09, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis. My pain is burning in the bladder, and severe kidney and lower back pain. I also have sciatica, but there is a difference. It is a raw feeling that disables me from wearing regular clothing. Many women get their bladders taken out in hopes of some relief, but my pain management doctor does not believe in it. He said it will still produce phantom pain. It is manageable, but does limit daily activity in severe cases such as mine.