Burning Mouth Syndrome - Helpful Tips

Please share self-care tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome.

What are helpful tips for dealing with burning mouth syndrome?

You can also try these self-care tips to help ease the pain of burning mouth syndrome.

• Sip water frequently.
  • Suck on ice chips.
  • Avoid irritating substances like hot, spicy foods; mouthwashes that contain alcohol; and products high in acid, like citrus fruits and juices.
  • Chew sugarless gum.
  • Brush your teeth/dentures with baking soda and water.
  • Avoid alcohol and tobacco products.

Talk with your dentist and doctor about other possible steps you can take to minimize the problems associated with burning mouth syndrome.

Return to Burning Mouth Syndrome

Comment from: indig0, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have read that alpha lipoic acid helps with burning mouth syndrome. I kept myself up all night annoyed by the sensation. I"m going to buy this supplement today and test it out - at least there is some hope.

Comment from: Deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I am menopausal and have had burning mouth syndrome on and off for several years. Dentist and family doctor didn"t know what it was and tried several things. No medications but after doing my own research, I found that peppermint chewing gum helped the most. I pretty much chew it all day and it makes it bearable till it runs its course and finally subsides.