Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What are causes of burning mouth syndrome?

There are a number of possible causes of burning mouth syndrome, including:

• damage to nerves that control pain and taste
  • hormonal changes
  • dry mouth, which can be caused by many medicines and disorders such as Sjögren's syndrome or diabetes
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • oral candidiasis, a fungal infection in the mouth
  • acid reflux
  • poorly-fitting dentures or allergies to denture materials
  • anxiety and depression.

In some people, burning mouth syndrome may have more than one cause. But for many, the exact cause of their symptoms cannot be found.

Return to Burning Mouth Syndrome

Comment from: Jadiol1953, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My burning mouth syndrome (BMS) started after I had chemotherapy for breast cancer in 2002. I also have multiple sclerosis (MS), a benign type, but my neurologist at the time knew my family problems and gave me Xanax. So for ten years, I didn"t know I had BMS. When my then neurologist resigned, the new one didn"t agree with the Xanax and cut me back to 1 a night. I was and still am miserable after 5 years. Stress doubles the pain and acidic foods make it so much worse. Why can"t they find a cause and a cure!

Comment from: Clc, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Just over a month ago I used a strong antibiotic for a stomach issue. A week after was Easter and after eating a fresh made cinnamon scroll I noticed my tongue suddenly felt strange. I realized it was oral thrush and got some nystatin to use. It seemed to be clearing and I stopped using it although it came back and I did the same again. My tongue still seems to have a pale look to it at times and in the last few days I have noticed that my tongue feels strange and by end of day to evening it gets worse till it"s like I have burnt it on hot food. I looked it up, they say the reason in women is onset of menopause and it can be caused by hormonal changes. I"m 37 and don"t think this would be my case, I have an iron deficiency perhaps this could be a cause; not really sure what to do next.