Burning Mouth Syndrome - Causes

If known, what was the cause of your burning mouth syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What are causes of burning mouth syndrome?

There are a number of possible causes of burning mouth syndrome, including:

• damage to nerves that control pain and taste
  • hormonal changes
  • dry mouth, which can be caused by many medicines and disorders such as Sjögren's syndrome or diabetes
  • nutritional deficiencies
  • oral candidiasis, a fungal infection in the mouth
  • acid reflux
  • poorly-fitting dentures or allergies to denture materials
  • anxiety and depression.

In some people, burning mouth syndrome may have more than one cause. But for many, the exact cause of their symptoms cannot be found.

Return to Burning Mouth Syndrome

Comment from: Cure, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I know how frustrating and depressing it is so here's what fixed my burning mouth syndrome. I narrowed the cause down to either sleep, vitamin deficiency or coffee. I went and found a Chinese doctor that does herbs, acupuncture etc., he checked my levels and found me deficient and put me on some nano vitamins called: LifePak Nano. Within a week or two it's all better. I also quit coffee and that may have helped (not from the heat either or burning tongue, just because it's acidic). I also notice when I would get less sleep it would be more prevalent too, but the vitamins alone seemed to have cured me! Hope this helps you too!

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started having severe mouth burning following a regimen of antibiotic that resulted in thrush. With thrush one needs to avoid sugar, yeast and carbs I understand. Yogurt helps me with the burning and thrush. I"m also taking clotrimazole troches for thrush. My allergies have also caused some burning but not nearly as severe as with thrush and I understand thrush happens more often with older individuals and following a course of antibiotics.

Stay Informed!