Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Introduction to night sweats

Doctors in primary care fields of medicine often hear their patients complain of night sweats as they are common. Night sweats refer to any excess sweating occurring during the night. However, if your bedroom is unusually hot or you are using too many bedclothes, you may begin to sweat during sleep - and this is normal. In order to distinguish night sweats that arise from medical causes from those that occur because one's surroundings are too warm, doctors generally refer to true night sweats as severe hot flashes occurring at night that can drench sleepwear and sheets, which are not related to an overheated environment.

In one study of 2267 patients visiting a primary care physician, 41% reported experiencing night sweats during the previous month, so the perception of excessive sweating at night is fairly common. It is important to note that flushing (a warmth and redness of the face or trunk) may also be hard to distinguish from true night sweats.

Return to Night Sweats

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I had been taking hormones and HRT (hormone replacement therapy), until for an unrelated problem I cutoff all medicine I was taking, including Premarin. I have intermittent hot flashes during the day (some severe) and serious night sweating which wakes me up every 2 or 3 hours and exhausts and drains my energy.

Comment from: rainybug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 71. My periods stopped at 38. At age 28 I was on birth control pills for a year. They caused me to have numerous blood clots in my left leg and both ovaries. I cannot take hormones. From age 38 to age 70 I had 3 hot flashes; it was really bad and I couldn"t move to get up to the bathroom. Now I am on several meds for blood pressure, sugar and pain. I have night sweats so bad the whole bed is wet and I am freezing. I have talked to 2 doctors, one says it can"t be menopause and one says it could be. I think it is side effect of medicines I am on.