Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Please select the black square:

Introduction to night sweats

Doctors in primary care fields of medicine often hear their patients complain of night sweats as they are common. Night sweats refer to any excess sweating occurring during the night. However, if your bedroom is unusually hot or you are using too many bedclothes, you may begin to sweat during sleep - and this is normal. In order to distinguish night sweats that arise from medical causes from those that occur because one's surroundings are too warm, doctors generally refer to true night sweats as severe hot flashes occurring at night that can drench sleepwear and sheets, which are not related to an overheated environment.

In one study of 2267 patients visiting a primary care physician, 41% reported experiencing night sweats during the previous month, so the perception of excessive sweating at night is fairly common. It is important to note that flushing (a warmth and redness of the face or trunk) may also be hard to distinguish from true night sweats.

Return to Night Sweats

Comment from: Papa, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I wake up in the middle of the night because I am feeling cold; which is due to the sheets and pillow case being quite wet. I usually sweat most from my neck, back, and head. Sometimes the sweating is so intense that I have to take a shower in cool water. When I am dry, I go sleep in the bed in the guest bedroom. So far I have not experienced that more than once during my sleep. Interestingly, if I take a nap during the day, I don't have this problem during the nap.

Comment from: Rhysie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I've been getting night sweats around my pelvic region for a while now. It can be so bad that sometimes I thought I actually wet my bed. But I haven't. I wonder what it is.