Night Sweats - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with night sweats.

Introduction to night sweats

Doctors in primary care fields of medicine often hear their patients complain of night sweats as they are common. Night sweats refer to any excess sweating occurring during the night. However, if your bedroom is unusually hot or you are using too many bedclothes, you may begin to sweat during sleep - and this is normal. In order to distinguish night sweats that arise from medical causes from those that occur because one's surroundings are too warm, doctors generally refer to true night sweats as severe hot flashes occurring at night that can drench sleepwear and sheets, which are not related to an overheated environment.

In one study of 2267 patients visiting a primary care physician, 41% reported experiencing night sweats during the previous month, so the perception of excessive sweating at night is fairly common. It is important to note that flushing (a warmth and redness of the face or trunk) may also be hard to distinguish from true night sweats.

Return to Night Sweats

Comment from: Jessiel, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 16

I am a 20 years old female and for the past 6 years I have been suffering from night sweats and hot flushes. It has never really bothered me before until now as it has got a lot worse. I'm waking up three times a night and each time stripping my bed and going in the shower. I'm embarrassed to see someone about this.

Comment from: Kasallee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

In the first few moments as I fall asleep, I start sweating. I don't know why and not have been to the doctor to determine a reason. I had a total hysterectomy 20 years ago, so I don't think it has anything to do with menopause. I am 56 years old. I do not like heavy covers, mainly a sheet or light blanket is plenty. We do not keep our home hot. I have a tiny fan by my bedside and as long as I have air gently blowing on my face, all is resolved! Just keep the air moving. A central air unit cycling on and off does not help. I hope this helps someone! I do want to add that the night sweats are not limited to the first few minutes as I fall asleep. Many times it happens during the night. Covers on, covers off. A foot out, a leg out. Something to bring in the coolness. But the fan in the face is my savior.