Caregiving - Experience

Please describe your experience with a caregiver.

What is a caregiver?

Caregivers are people who take care of other adults, most often parents or spouses, who are ill or disabled. The people who receive care usually need help with basic daily tasks. Caregivers help with many things such as:

• Grocery shopping

• Toileting

• Bathing

• Dressing

• Eating

Usually caregivers take care of elderly people. Less often, caregivers are grandparents who are raising their grandchildren. The terms informal caregiver and family caregiver refer to people who are not paid to provide care. As the American population ages, the number of caregivers and the demands placed on them will grow.

Return to Caregiving

Comment from: Alan, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 15

I am a 56 year old man caring for my 78 year old mother who has now been in the hospital going on 4 months. There are so many triggers that are not healthy for a person that is perfectly stable, I myself have bipolar type 2 and high anxiety, therefore everything is magnified. I have let myself go, my therapy appointments, paying bills, returning calls, and taking care of the basic things in life. I stay with my mom every night from 10 pm to 1pm, with an irrational fear that if I leave to even to get a cup of coffee she may die 'on my watch'.