Male Breast Cancer - Experience

Please share your experience with male breast cancer.

Please select the black triangle:

What is male breast cancer?

Men possess a small amount of nonfunctioning breast tissue (breast tissue that cannot produce milk) that is concentrated in the area directly behind the nipple on the chest wall. Like breast cancer in women, cancer of the male breast is the uncontrolled growth with the potential for spread of some of the cells of this breast tissue. These cells become so abnormal in appearance and behavior that they are then called cancer cells.

Breast tissue in both young boys and girls consists of tubular structures known as ducts. At puberty, a girl's ovaries produce female hormones (estrogen) that cause the ducts to grow and milk glands (lobules) to develop at the ends of the ducts. The amount of fat and connective tissue in the breast also increases as girls go through puberty. On the other hand, male hormones (such as testosterone) secreted by the testes suppress the growth of breast tissue and the development of lobules. The male breast, therefore, is made up of predominantly small, undeveloped ducts and a small amount of fat and connective tissue.

Return to Male Breast Cancer

Comment from: yooperreeds, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

I am a 63 year old male. I woke up one morning and had a walnut-sized lump under my right nipple. No previous sign of a lump. I went to the doctor 2 days later and he did an ultrasound and a core-needle biopsy. It was cancer. I had a total mastectomy 2 weeks later. I am now undergoing 4 treatments of chemotherapy (Cytoxan - Taxotere) in 3 week intervals. There was no lymph node involvement, but because of size of the tumor my stage was rated Stage III.