Insomnia - Causes

What caused your insomnia?

Please select the black square:

What are other causes of insomnia?

Besides the conditions listed previously, there are other types of insomnia that are not necessarily linked to an underlying condition. Some of the common types of insomnia are listed in this section.

Psychophysiological insomnia

Psychophysiological insomnia or primary insomnia is a type of insomnia in which learned behaviors prevent sleep. Individuals with this condition are unable to relax their minds (racing thoughts) and have an increased mental function when they try to fall sleep. This may become a long-term issue, and going to bed becomes associated with an increased level of anxiety and mental arousal, leading to chronic insomnia. This condition may be present in about 15% of people who undergo formal sleep studies for evaluation of chronic insomnia.

Idiopathic insomnia

Idiopathic insomnia (without an obvious cause) (childhood onset insomnia or life-long insomnia) is a less common condition (1% of young adults or adolescents) that starts in childhood and may continue into adulthood. These individuals have difficulty initiating and maintaining sleep and have chronic daytime fatigue. Other more common conditions need to be evaluated and ruled out before this diagnosis is made. This condition may run in families.

Paradoxical insomnia

Paradoxical insomnia is also called subjective insomnia or sleep state misconception. In this condition, individuals may report and complain of insomnia;, however, they would have a normal pattern of sleep if they were to have a formal overnight sleep study done.

Return to Insomnia

Comment from: Asad, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I have anxiety. If you continue to stay anxious and develop serious anxiety you are more likely to suffer from insomnia.

Comment from: shane73, 35-44 (Patient) Published: February 11

I have been sleeping an average of 5 to 6 hours a night for 30 years I am sure it's enough for my body to function. I am a chronic pain patient due to DDD (degenerative disc disease) and my sleep fell off to 4 hours or less in the past few months. I spoke to my doctor, he put me on trazodone, and gave me an extra oxycodone for bedtime. Now I am getting to 6 to 7 hours of sleep a night. Trazodone is non-habit forming, and seems to work quite well. I have tried all kinds of sleep medications, and hate them all. Trazodone works well so far and it is cheap to fill my prescription.