Pericarditis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment or procedures did you or a relative receive for pericarditis?

What is the treatment for pericarditis?

Most often, pericarditis is caused by a viral infection and the treatment is aimed at decreasing inflammation and controlling pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, naproxen) are commonly used. A short course of narcotic pain medication may be helpful. For other causes of pericarditis, treatment of the underlying cause of pericarditis is essential.

Pericardiocentesis, a procedure where a thin needle is inserted through the chest wall into the pericardial sac, may be considered if a large effusion is present that affects heart function (see cardiac tamponade below).

Pericardotomy (cutting a hole in the pericardial sac) or pericardectomy (removing the sac completely) may be needed for recurrent pericarditis that causes scarring within the pericardial sac and prevents the heart from beating properly.

Return to Pericarditis

Comment from: jedsusa, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was about 20 at the time I was given the diagnosis pericarditis. I am now 76. I was put on penicillin for a year and then I was fine. I do not know if that treatment is done today. The symptoms were having trouble breathing and pain in the chest.

Comment from: MarkP, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

My doctor prescribed 800mg ibuprofen to be taken 3 times daily for 2 weeks and 0.5mg colchicine to be taken twice daily for 3 months.