Septic Arthritis - Experience

Please describe your experience with septic arthritis.

Please select the white circle:

What is septic arthritis?

Septic, or infectious, arthritis is infection of one or more joints by microorganisms. Normally, the joint is lubricated with a small amount of fluid that is referred to as synovial fluid or joint fluid. The normal joint fluid is sterile and, if removed and cultured in the laboratory, no microbes will be found. With septic arthritis, microbes are identifiable in an affected joint fluid.

Most commonly, septic arthritis affects a single joint, but occasionally more joints are involved. The joints affected vary somewhat depending on the microbe causing the infection and the predisposing risk factors of the person affected. Septic arthritis is also called infectious arthritis.

Return to Septic Arthritis

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

It was the worst experience of my life. I lay on my bed for 3 weeks in agony while medics failed to diagnose me. I was even put in plaster for a week. After 3 weeks one of them ordered a blood test as an afterthought. I was called 2 days later and told to get to hospital quickly! For 3 weeks I was in hospital on a drip, manipulations, lots of physiotherapy, all useless and finally I had a full knee replacement. I am still sore 3 years on, I assume because of all the surrounding damage.