Bug Bites and Stings - Experience

Please describe your experience with bug bites and stings.

Please select the white circle:

Bug bites and stings introduction

Warm weather makes it easier to spend more time outdoors, but it also brings out the bugs. Ticks are usually harmless. But a tick bite can lead to Lyme disease, which is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. The bacteria are transmitted to people by the black-legged deer tick, which is about the size of a pinhead and usually lives on deer. Infected ticks can also cause other diseases, such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever.

Another insect-borne illness, West Nile virus, is transmitted by infected mosquitoes and usually produces mild symptoms in healthy people. But the illness can be serious for older people and those with compromised immune systems.

Most reactions to bees and other stinging insects are mild, but severe allergic reactions can be deadly. An allergic reaction can occur even if a person has been stung before with no complications.

Here are tips for preventing and treating bites and stings.

Return to Bug Bites and Stings

Comment from: maur, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I have been getting bit by something for several months. I have seen 3 doctors and had my apartment checked for fleas and bedbugs; there are no bed bugs or fleas. The first doctor said it was mites, 2nd doctor didn't know and prescribed a lotion to treat scabies; the 3rd doctor said it was bed bugs. The inspection of my apartment was after the last doctor said bed bugs. I used the cream the 2nd doctor prescribed twice and still am getting bit. The bite sometimes feels like a burn and other times like a flea bite. I have not seen any bug. The marks from the bites range from very tiny to a larger bite like a mosquito; they are not itchy, only feel a burning sensation; I live in Ontario, Canada.

Comment from: Michelle71, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am terribly allergic to yellow fly bites. If you have never heard of a yellow fly then consider yourself lucky. After suffering 3 summers with the bites from these little creatures I have finally found a treatment regimen that works! As soon as you get bit, slice a potato and put the taw slice on the bite and secure with a Band-Aid to help draw out the venom, leave on for about 30-45 minutes, remove the potato slices and rub tea tree oil on bite and surrounding area. No swelling, burning and best of all no itching! This is the only the only thing that has worked for me!