Keratosis Pilaris - Treatment

What was the treatment for your keratosis pilaris?

What is the treatment for keratosis pilaris?

Many treatment options and skin-care recipes are available for controlling the symptoms of keratosis pilaris. Many patients have very good temporary improvement following a regular skin-care program of lubrication. As a general rule of thumb, treatment needs to be continuous. Since there is no available cure or universally effective treatment for keratosis pilaris, the list of potential lotions and creams is long. It is important to keep in mind that as with any condition, no therapy is uniformly effective in all people. Complete clearing may not be possible. In some cases, keratosis pilaris may also improve or clear spontaneously without any treatment.

General measures to prevent excessive skin dryness, such as using mild soapless cleansers, are recommended. Frequent skin lubrication is the mainstay of treatment for nearly all cases.

Mild cases of keratosis pilaris may be improved with basic over-the-counter moisturizers such as Cetaphil or Lubriderm lotions. Additional available therapeutic options for more difficult cases of keratosis pilaris include lactic-acid lotions (AmLactin, Lac-Hydrin), alpha-hydroxy-acid lotions (Glytone, glycolic body lotions), urea cream (Carmol 10, Carmol 20, Carmol 40, Urix 40), salicylic acid (Salex lotion), and topical steroid creams (triamcinolone 0.1%).

The affected area should be washed once or twice a day with a gentle wash like Cetaphil or Dove. Lotions should be gently massaged into the affected area two to three times a day. Irritated or abraded skin should be treated only with bland moisturizers until the inflammation resolves.

Occasionally, physicians may prescribe a short seven- to 10-day course of a medium-potency, emollient-based topical steroid cream once or twice a day for inflamed red areas.

Many treatments have been used in keratosis pilaris without consistent results. As there is no miraculous cure or universally effective treatment for keratosis pilaris, it is important to proceed with mild caution and lower expectations.

Because keratosis pilaris is generally a chronic condition requiring long-term maintenance, most therapies would require repeated or long-term use for optimum results.

Mild cleansers and lotions for sensitive skin: Wash daily, and apply lotion twice a day.

• Cetaphil
  • Dove
  • Lubriderm
  • Purpose

Potent moisturizers for home treatment: Use once or twice a day.

• Lactic-acid lotions (AmLactin, Lac-Hydrin)
  • Alpha-hydroxy-acid lotions (Glytone, Citrix glycolic body lotion 15%)
  • Urea creams (Carmol 10, Carmol 20, Carmol 40, Urix 40)
  • Salicylic-acid lotions (Salex 6%)
  • Compounded 3% salicylic acid in 20% urea cream
Return to Keratosis Pilaris

Comment from: Elle, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 18

My son has developed keratosis pilaris (KP) about 3 years ago, and I had no idea what it was. Finally I found out what it was and it turns out my husband had it all his life but his skin looks different to my son's. Anyway just wanted to add that I started giving my kids fresh carrot juice in the mornings just to boost theirs vitamins intake after winter. And I noticed how his skin started to clear up after about a week. I just realized it's the carrot juice, funny enough main part of the carrot is the keratin, which has the same root as keratosis. I wonder if there could be a link.

Comment from: Paul, Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I am 53 and have suffered my whole life with this ugly condition. This is now I manage my keratosis pilaris: Do not burst the lumps! It only leads to long term white scars. Exfoliate. Moisturize with a urea lotion that contains no perfume. And the two last points are, the lumps look enormous to you but actually they are mostly invisible from a few feet away. They have never been an issue with anyone but myself.