Hydrocele - Types and Features

Please describe your experience with a hydrocele, including its type and physical features.

What are the physical features and types hydroceles?

A hydrocele is characterized as a non-painful, soft swelling of the scrotum (one or both sides). The overlying skin is not tender or inflamed. There are two types of hydroceles:

1. communicating, and
  2. non-communicating.
Return to Hydrocele

Comment from: John Doe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I have had this enlargement for approximately 40 years. I am not in pain at all, but my scrotum seems to be getting larger. I have not confronted a doctor yet because I believe that if it's not broke, then don't fix it.

Comment from: Dhavan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 16

I developed what I imagine was a hydrocele on my left testicle when I was 13 years old. It expanded quickly to the size of a baseball (3-4 inches in diameter) and was very sore. The skin surrounding the sac was red and tender, due to being stretched. I lived on a farm and it was a busy time of the year, so I didn't want to bother my parents by demanding a trip to the doctor. The swelling decreased on its own after a week, but the testicle was ruined. I have always regretted not saying something to my parents. Many years later, my doctor said, Thank goodness you've got two testicles, as the other one seems OK. Thankfully I've had a fulfilling sex life, but am plagued by guilt over this incident.