Hydrocele - Types and Features

Please describe your experience with a hydrocele, including its type and physical features.

What are the physical features and types hydroceles?

A hydrocele is characterized as a non-painful, soft swelling of the scrotum (one or both sides). The overlying skin is not tender or inflamed. There are two types of hydroceles:

1. communicating, and
  2. non-communicating.
Return to Hydrocele

Comment from: trish, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 13

I have a son who had a hydrocele and had undergone a surgery when he was 1 year and 2 months old in May of this year. He had his first check up after the surgery in July. The surgeon said, it was okay and he scheduled my son's checkup this October, and we went to see him last Monday. Unfortunately, he found out that the hydrocele recurred. He suggested to have another surgery in December. As a parent, I was frustrated. I am worried about my son's condition, that he's too young to have two consecutive surgeries. I wonder if it is really necessary to have the next surgery.

Comment from: Doesn't Hurt, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I am 54. Left testis grew about 3 to 4 times the size of the other side. I lived with it for 4 months as it didn't hurt, and I had no insurance. Finally I went to the urologist and spent USD 320.00 to find out it was not cancer, but hydrocele, not life threatening. I am happy. I am getting insurance. I am told I can live with it, or have a small operation. I had the operation and was out of hospital the next day. I was sore for 2 or 3 weeks.