Urethral Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with your urethral cancer.

Please select the black square:

Possible signs of urethral cancer include bleeding or trouble with urination.

These and other symptoms may be caused by urethral cancer. Other conditions may cause the same symptoms. Sometimes early cancer of the urethra does not cause any symptoms at all. A doctor should be consulted if any of the following problems occur:

• Bleeding from the urethra or blood in the urine.
  • Weak or interrupted ("stop-and-go") flow of urine.
  • Frequent urination.
  • A lump or thickness in the perineum or penis.
  • Discharge from the urethra.
  • Enlarged lymph nodes in the groin area.
Return to Urethral Cancer

Comment from: CAsurvivor48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

The signs and symptom that was associated with my urethral cancer was some type of bloody particle (tissue) in urine, blood in urine, and chronic urinary retention.

Comment from: Jeri, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I retired from elementary teaching in 2011 at 74 years old. I have always been a very active person. I started going to Curves and working on losing weight. I started at 138 lbs. I am 5'1". I worked on exchanging junk food for fruit. I managed to get down to 118 lbs. I was very happy, but then I kept losing and my biggest problem was it hurt to pee. The most I could eliminate was 2 oz. at a time with unbelievable pain. For some reason, the doctors I went to put me in therapy to work on my pelvic muscles. During this time, I told my therapist that I felt like I had a blockage and that is why I couldn't release any more pee at one time. She suggested that I inform my doctor. I did, he did one test through the urethra to see if it was blocked. It wasn't and he suggested taking Vesicare for leakage. On the prescription it says, "Do not use if your bladder doesn't release," which was my problem. No more tests were called for. I changed doctors. This doctor did a procedure which would stimulate my bladder, but when the procedure didn't work, she sent me to another doctor. He inserted a catheter and in the hospital did more testing and found something attached to my urethra which turned out to be cancer. All the doctors were either urologist or OB/GYN doctors.