Melasma - Prognosis

Describe your experience with melasma. Did it fade or go away?

What is the prognosis for melasma?

Although melasma tends to be a chronic disorder with periodic ups and downs, the prognosis for most cases is good. Just as melasma develops slowly, clearance also tends to be slow. The gradual disappearance of dark spots is based on establishing the right treatment combination for each individual skin type. Melasma cases that do not successfully respond to treatment are due to excessive sun exposure.

Return to Melasma

Comment from: Paula, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I'm 45 years and suddenly this dark spots of melasma appeared, next to my jaw bone, where my ear ends. I did not even have dark spots when I was pregnant.

Comment from: Giving up, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Melasma did not fade or go away, I tried Obagi, Fraxel, dermabrasion, and tretinoin. I use best sun block, stay out of the sun, and majority of the time when outside I wear large wide brim hat. Being inside and out of the sun for long periods of time caused my vitamin D level to drop very low causing body pain. I have melasma going on 10 years. It started when I became peri-menopausal, now I am post-menopausal, there is melasma still on face and some on neck.