Melasma - Location on Body

Please describe where on your body you experienced melasma.

Where is melasma seen on the body?

Melasma is characterized by discoloration or hyperpigmentation primarily on the face. Three types of common facial patterns have been identified in melasma, including centrofacial (center of the face), malar (cheekbones), and mandibular (jawbone).

The centrofacial pattern is the most prevalent form of melasma and includes the forehead, cheeks, upper lip, nose, and chin. The malar pattern includes the upper cheeks. The mandibular pattern is specific to the jaw.

The upper sides of the neck may less commonly be involved in melasma. Rarely, melasma may occur on other body parts like the forearms. One study confirmed the occurrence of melasma on the forearms of people being given progesterone. This was a unique pattern seen in a Native American study.

Return to Melasma

Comment from: strikenh1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am Hispanic and Native American. I was struck by lightning 9 years ago and the doctor put me on Topamax and Cymbalta for pain. I am also on Synthroid since I became hypothyroid after my first child was born. I never had melasma before the lightning strike; however, after the accident I developed nerve damage to my left arm and hand as well as sensitivity to extreme heat and cold. I have melasma on my cheeks, lips, and under my eyes. It looks like a mask. It is more pronounced in the summer.

Comment from: MommyX5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was recently diagnosed with melasma. It is prevalent on my upper lip, jaw, temple areas, neck and arms. I am African American with Native Indian and Jewish heritage. Additionally, I have a copper IUD implanted.